Is there a doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike__D, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Over the last few years, I have tried excersing every few months. Most of time, I'd workout too hard when starting, then I'd catch a cold, which would usually develope into a sinus problem. After I would recover, I'd lose all motivation to go at it again.

Well, recently I started again, and started much easier this time. All was well until I started riding my bike hard. Sunday and Monday I went on 18 mile rides, pushing somewhat hard, and after Monday's hour ride, I worked out my upper body for about 45 minutes. Close to bed time the coughing started, and today I fell horrible, very weak, coughing, a bit light headed.

Finally, my question, does over exerting yourself weaken the immune system? If so, what can be done to prevent this? Taking vitamins? Eating better? I'm guessing if my body is trying to heal my muscles, other "systems" in your body get neglected somewhat? Is this correct or do I have NO idea what I'm talking about?

Thanks,

Mike D.

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

I'm not a doctor but took some immunology classes for my degree in bio. The immune system is a mysterious thing and everyone's works a little different. Stress will certainly make you more susceptible to illness. Just take a look at any college campus at finals time. After a few all-nighters everyone starts getting sick.
    Not sure about why you are feeling that bad after exercising though.

Jeff

3. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

I would definitely stop exercising until you can get in
    to see a doctor. And I'd see a doctor as soon as possible.

4. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Probably coincidence, but this exact same scenario has happened to me.

5. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I don't think I need to see a doctor yet. I am feeling better, but not much, although the light headedness is gone. I believe I still have a slight fever. I think what I need to do is leave work early and go pass out on my couch, now that sounds good! [​IMG]

6. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

I'm always hesitant to say things based on a couple
    of symptoms... for one, I ain't no doctor, and two, it
    tends to bring on nasy hypochondria (sp?)... but it
    could be something like mild asthma if it happens every
    time you exercise... but given how run down and light
    headed you feel, and with the coughing, I would definitely
    see a doctor before continuing or increasing your workout.
    Either that or stop smoking while you exercise. [​IMG]

7. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    This is the exact thing that happens to me. I always start off good for about 2-3 weeks. Usually every other day on the exercise bike. Then I get a cold that puts me out for a couple of days. Nothing that major that I would take time off of work, but enough that would make me stop exercising. I'd like to know the answer too.

8. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

1) The air-quality on most of the East coast has been horrible.

2) If one begins spending more time out-of-doors than usual, breathing more heavy than usual, one is exposed to many more pollutants and allergens than usual.

3) If this occurs even when exercising inside, there may be some exercise-induced asthma.

4) There will be a strain on the body when beginning an exercise regimen if you are not used to doing so. Many of the body's resources shift from maintaining homeostasis to repairing muscle, opening capillaries, and various other changes brought about by exercise.

9. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Thanks Chris, that makes sense. I'm gonna guess it's a combination of these things.
    I don't ALWAYS get sick when I excersise, only if I took a LONG time off and push to hard when I start again. I am feeling better, thanks to some over the counter drugs, and my asthma medication. I'll see how I feel tommorow to determine whether or not to see a doc.
    Unfortunately, I have no time off from work, and would have to take leave w/out pay. Something I don't want to do since I need $$$$, and something my employer doesn't like since I don't make them money... I really hate this, not only must I earn my hours each payday, they are all lumped together; no seprate sick days or vacation days [​IMG]
    Mike D.

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Just in case anyone was wondering, I have a sinus infection and broncitus. Doc said the same thing Chris did in his 4th point. One day I'll learn to take it easy and gradualy increase me workouts...

Mike D.