What's new

Is there a Digital Coaxial Splitter ?? (1 Viewer)

Joe Main

Grip
Greetings, my Receiver has only one Digital Coaxial Cable input. The problem: I have two outputs, a Digital Coaxial output from my DVD player & a Digital Coaxial output from my Digital Cable Box. Is there by chance a splitter ? Sending my two outputs into a splitter and then plug that splitter output into the receiver.
Thanks Joe

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
That wouldn't be a splitter since you are combining a signal, and a combiner wouldn't work either. You need a switch to keep only one signal active at a time. They make digital coax switches, just look around.

Joe Main

Grip
thanks for the reply
I wouldn't have both signals active at the same time. I'll be playing either the DVD or the Dig Cable box, So wouldn't a splitter work if there was such a thing? Thanks Joe

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
No, a splitter would not work.

These signals expect to see a uniform "75 ohm impedence" down the wire. A splitter would mess this up. And the higher the frequency of the signal, the more sensitive it is to this impedence.

(Think of a road with 7.5 inches of asphalt in some places and 3.5 inches in others. Then try driving down the road 55 mph).

You want a simple switch so that the signal only sees one path at any time. Any A/B video switch from Radio Shack will work. (Video cables and switches are also designed with the 75 ohm impedence in mind). I even saw a nice switch from Radio Shack for about $65 that can be controlled from your remote so it auto-switches when you turn on the CATV box or the DVD player.

Joe Main

Grip
Thanks, You mention using a video switch, you're saying a video switch is OK to use as Digital audio switch?

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've used a basic composite video Y-cable (2 Female to 1 Male) to combine two digital audio outputs (two DVD players) into one digital audio input on my receiver for almost 7 years now and have never had a problem. Just make sure that both devices aren't on at the same time or all you'll get no audio.

Joe Main

Grip
Thanks Michael,
I guess that's what I was fishing for a simple solution. Is the Y splitter capable of splitting the digital signal. You mention a composite Y, I only recall that term used as a video source. If it is a composite Y I guess you're telling me it works with digital audio, that's great.
Thanks so much Joe

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
If you are only interested in making 2 things plug into 1 without any regards to what detrimental effects it may have to the signal and impedence, then knock yourself out. I would *SUGGEST*, however, that you take Bob McElfresh's word on this as he really knows a lot. One last thing, my parents Digital Cable box has a digital out that never turns off. Even when the box itself is in standby, the digital out is merely muted. The receiver auto-detects the digital connection 100% of the time. This may affect how the receiver sees your combined digital coax. Take Bob's advice, get an inexpensive composite video switcher and plug the coax into the composite video (yellow) connector.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Joe,

A digital coax output is the same physical size as a composite video, component video, or even standard stereo audio jacks. That's why it's always handy to have a bunch of Y-cables on hand as they can be used to split and combine all sorts of device inputs and outputs. And yes I realize many will shout heresy at using this simple and inexpensive solution but I've never had any problems using the Y-cable.

Joe Main

Grip
Well folks Michael Warner's post was right on. It's been approx. one month and I'm back to say the Y-splitter works like a charm. My DVD player and Dig. cable box are each connected to an end of the Y then the Y is plugged into my JVC's Digital Coxial in. As Michael noted just don't have them both on at the same time. Happy as could be. Joe

"I don't care what Johnny says, I'm having a drink"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks