What's new

Is there a difference in speaker wires? (1 Viewer)

leekelv

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelvin Lee
I'm a best buy home theater employee and I've been trying to do my research on speaker cables because we do sell the high-end audioquest cables. I'm not one (or want to be one) of those salesmen that tries to sell a few hundred dollar speaker cable if it doesn't do anything. So does the quality of the speaker wire really affect the quality of sound in the speakers?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's an article on the web from a magazine that covers a blind listening test with some of the most expensive speaker cable on the market. For fun, the magazine through in an orange extension cord from Home Depot. It came in 2nd place.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Well, I don't presume to be able to say which cable will sound best to any individual, but with all the differences in conductor materials, designs, dielectrics, construction techniques, how could there not be differences in sound between them?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
leekelv said:
I'm a best buy home theater employee and I've been trying to do my research on speaker cables because we do sell the high-end audioquest cables. I'm not one (or want to be one) of those salesmen that tries to sell a few hundred dollar speaker cable if it doesn't do anything. So does the quality of the speaker wire really affect the quality of sound in the speakers?
No audible difference as long as the typical minimums are met. In other words, sufficient gauge, adequate shielding, etc. Tom V.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Tom!! Its nice to see you online. Give me a call and lets catch up! Gregg

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I did my own blind listening test about 12 years ago. After buying a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce mains, the dealer asked me about the speaker cabling. I told him I was using 14ga AC cord, copper wire. We spoke and he gave me two sets of speaker cable, one that retailed for $99 and another that retailed for $999. I took them home and with the help of my brother, I listened to various CD's over and over, not knowing how the amp and speakers were being connected. After it all it turned out that I was able to pick up the 14ga electrical cord almost every time, I think I missed only once. With either of the commercially sold, high end speaker cables I heard more defined soundstage, tighter sounding bass, and the crisp highs were smoother and more pleasant sounding.
Now as far as choosing between the $99 cables and the $999 cables, turns out I was near 50/50, and honestly could not tell any difference. I went back to the store and owner took back the $999 cables and said "you owe me $105.99 for the cables". He explained that depending on the gear in use and the listener, some people will hear differences between $99 cables, $999 or even $5000 cables. And if they have a preference and the means to afford what they want, that's all they need.

If it's any interest, the gear in use at that time was:

B&K Ref 20 Processor/Pre-amp
Parasound HCA-855a amp
Carver CT-490t CD player
Vandersteen 2Ce speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508