1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a difference in DirecTV DVR units?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Cynthia Binder, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Cynthia Binder

Have had DirecTV since its inception in three different states and currently own 3 Sony DirecTV receivers, one of which has the base antenna you can use to operate the unit anywhere in the house (use it for the whole house audio system). We live in a Pegasus service area now (YUCK!) and DirecTV is in the process of cancelling that arrangement. I want to switch over to a DirecTV account ASAP, but want to upgrade equipment in the process with the best deal.

I am ready to go with DVRs. Does anyone make them with the RF remote? I also want digital audio outputs and a guide that shows the current channel video in the corner if possible. Is there a difference in speed in accessing the guide between units? How about picture quality?

DirecTV wants $99 for their 35 hour unit with a one year agreement, but you can get Samsung at Circuit City for the same price and RCA at Best Buy for $80. I don't archive stuff, so probably don't want to pay for a 100 hour unit.

Thoughts on the best choice will be appreciated...

Cynthia

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, some good news. BB has all their 40g models (RCA and Philips when I looked last week) at $79 now. Just got the Philips myself.

I have read, but can't prove, that the base model D*Tivo are all the same inside.

As for a guide showing whats now playing in a small window, I know what you mean (my Sammy 160 does it), but the Philips Tivo I just bought does not.

Maybe the Sammy D*Tivo with the big harddrive does, but I don't know. I have a feeling that the GUI is basically Tivo's, so you may not get that feature.

BGL

3. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I bought 4 DirecTivo units ($99. ea) and a Hughes HD-E86 unit back in March. I upgraded the hard drive for $60. (with the $60 mail in rebate) and now I have over 101 hours of storage on my main Tivo. Im waiting for the HD-Tivo's to come down in price.

I dont know about that.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Forgot to mention that the 40g Philips does have an optical out.

Recorded T3 from HBO the other day....a killer DD soundtrack, and great fun to keep rewinding the scene where Arnold tosses his spent power cell into the desert!

Ka-Booom.

BGL

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    All current DirecTivos are the same inside. The interfaces are the same also. No, you will not get a picture when viewing the guide. On the other hand, the guide is transparent and you can see the video behind it.

But the DirecTV one includes installation. Do you have two runs of RG-6 to your Tivo's location? You will need that for the dual tuner functionality.

-Robert

6. Cynthia Binder

Thanks for the feedback!

I forgot to mention that I have just remodelled this house and have run three RG6 cables from my control center to every location in the house. I also have an 8-way multi-plexer installed, so doing the multi-feeds myself is not an issue where I need an installer.

However, here are some other questions. I currently have a regular dual Sony dish. Should I try to upgrade to the dish with the triple LNBs now in preparation for HD? I have always subscribed to DirecTV in my name. For new subscriber purposes, would my husband be considered a new subscriber (in order to qualify for the deals)?

Thanks!
    Cynthia

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Don't know about the hubby being a new sub, but do get the 3 LNB dish.

Even if HD is a bit down the road, you may need it to get locals via D*TV (assuming you can get them in your city).

BGL

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If you upgrade your dish, you will also need a new switch. An 8 way CASCADABLE switch is the only type that will work in your situation.

-Robert

9. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

yes if you can use your husbands name as a new subscriber. had to do a similar issue with my parents being an old sub. from back in the day. same last name doesnt matter. worse come to worse tell em you got divorced. they wont care. they just want a new customer.