Is there a difference in between gold-plated and platinum-plated S-VIDEO cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I've been looking at all of the S-VIDEO cables I've collected through the years and realize that most of them are metallic/platinum plated. One though, is gold plated. My question is whether or not the gold equates into a significantly better video signal?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    quote: Is there a difference in between gold-plated and platinum-plated S-VIDEO cables?[/quote]
    Yes. Price!
    quote: …most of them are metallic/platinum plated. [/quote]
    They probably are nickel plated, not platinum. Gold doesn't necessarily give a better picture. It is more resistant to corrosion, which can make a difference in picture quality.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    [Edited last by Wayne A. Pflughaupt on July 28, 2001 at 05:30 PM]

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Gold will provide a more conductive surface over the long run, simply because it does not oxidize.
    Like Wayne said, the silver-colored ones are probably nickel, not platinum. The best conductors are:
    1. Silver
    2. Copper
    3. Gold
    in that order. Gold is the only one of the three that won't oxidize over time.
    Todd

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

so long as the connection is solid, no difference. if you keep removing the gold connector over and over, gold, being soft, will wear. repeat...no difference in signal.