Is there a difference between RCA and phono cables?

blackadder1000

Auditioning
Real Name
Guy
Sorry to ask such a simple question but i am fairly clueless in this area.

I am planning to buy a Pioneer pdp-427xd plasma tv (unless anyone can recommend a better 42" tv) but I am concerned that it will not have the right plugs on it to attach it to my amplifier.

My problem is that I have read a review here that says "Pioneer may have gone a bit too far by leaving out the analogue phono sockets, leaving you to rely on the scart." This concerned me because my amplifier only has two digital inputs (one optical and one co-axial) so i can't use the optical out from the pioneer and I was planning on using a phono out like I do with my current TV.

Details on the pioneer TV are here and a picture of the connection panel is here.

My amplifier is a Yamaha that I bought a few years ago details of which are here and a picture of the back panel is here .

I would appreciate any advice that anyone can give me as to whether they think the RCA out on the pioneer will be able to connect to the phono plugs on the back of my amplifier.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
From the pictures, it looks like the TV has the red & white audio outputs. You would connect them to the red & white inputs on your receiver. This would give you stereo only, not any surround sound.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
When we talk about RCA jacks/plugs and phono jacks/plugs we are talking about the same thing.

But nothing but a phonograph or turntable (with magnetic cartridge and no preamp) or a microphone (with no preamp) should be plugged into an amplifier's set of input jacks actually labeled "phono". These inputs expect a much weaker signal (a few millivolts) and would be overloaded by the typical VCR or DVD player audio output (about one volt).

Video cables will work for audio but audio cables will not necessarily work or work well for video because video requires passage of higher frequencies.l

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro