What's new

Is there a diff. between UPS for PC's and AVR? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i plugged my AVR into my 800w UPS backup for a while and when i turned it up, the AVR would clip out when i set it to 0dB (yesh i frequently use that setting) during dynamic movie soundtracks. do AVR's REALLY draw that much power during peaks? so when i plugged my AVR into regular wall socket it was fine.

if that is the case, then what do UPS do for HT components? example:

http://apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=310
^that one has batteries but it doesn't tell me how long it can stay on during black out.

i'm guessing that the purpose is to give HT components clean power and NOT to let you watch an entire movie or show during black outs (thought that'd be an awesome bonus).

so am i correct? just curious.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I have heard that PC UPS's deliver a square wave, but UPS's specifically for HT's give you a sine wave. Don't know if that matters much or not.

Maybe 800W isn't enough for transients.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
How did you do this comparision? Did you charge up the UPS then plug the system into it and then unplug the UPS from the wall to see what'd happen?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
why would i need to do that?

the UPS is on a full charge and my AVR is plugged into the UPS, then i play a soundtrack really loud, the AVR clips out.

if i plug the AVR into the regular wall without UPS then everything plays fine.

so, i'm guessing my UPS can't handle the power spikes AVR's demand during loud sequences.

the 2nd part of me question is i notice the power devices for HT is really just correcting the undervoltage and giving the HT components clean power... but doesn't really have battery functions like UPS for the PC's.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Run it past APC. Perhaps there's some sort of current limiting in the PC model that doesn't exist in the HT ones.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
When you run a power-hungry device like an amplifier through a UPS (which will normally have a power transformer of its own), you are indeed limiting the current effectively reaching the amplifier. From a technical standpoint, plugging an amplifier directly the wall outlet will yield the best performance.

"Home theater" power conditioners generally have one or two "high-current" outlets that bypass the actual conditioning (essentially a power transformer) but are still protected from surges and spikes by the unit's MOV's.

To answer your other question, the only home theater-oriented UPS I can think of off the top of my head is the Rotel RLC-1080. It's essentially a version of their $500 RLC-1040 with an APC-designed UPS built-in for $1,600 (ouch!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks