is there a device

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by max.p, Jan 22, 2004.

1. max.p

max.p Auditioning

We have cable tv at home, two tv's, one in the den and one in the bedroom. Only the den has a cable box. We want to be able to watch cable in the bedroom as well. Is there a way to do this without having to rent another box from the cable company?

It will be an either or type of usage, meaning we don't need to be able to watch separate shows on each tv. So whatever is on in the bedroom will be on in the den as well, that's fine.

2. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Really, you would need 2 devices. 1st being a catv splitter, that way you can hook up 2 cables coming out of the cable box (where it normally has the 1 going to your main TV) run the second cable to your bedroom. Then get a remote control extender. It allows you to use your remote in another room. With these two things you could do what you mentioned. Might be a pain to setup initially, but there will be no monthly fees afterwards! [​IMG]

3. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I do that with a second satellite receiver that feeds my PIP and my kid's bedroom. It works out well because I can do PIP if I want and I can control what is showing on the kids TV.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

If the cable signal is analog, then you should be able to hook the cable into a Hi-Fi VCR and not need a cable box.

5. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

In addition, if your TV is "cable ready" you should be able to hook your cable right to the back of the tv and tune through the tv. I do this right now - HDTV with HD box receives analog, analog premium, digital and HD stations downstairs - NTSC tv with just a cable hooked up and tuned through the TV receives analog non-premium channels upstairs.

6. max.p

max.p Auditioning

Thank you all for the suggestions, very helpful! I'm going to investigate all these options, extender, vcr and cable ready tv.

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Max,

do you want to be able to watch the premium content - i.e. channels that can only be viewed after decoding by the cable box - on the other tv?

If so, you may want to look into a device like the ChannelPlus 3025 video all-in-one video distribution unit. You can plug the output of the cable box into one of the modulation inputs and watch the cable box on a personally selected channel. I have this setup that allows me to watch TIVO content on any of the 4 tvs in our house.

cheers,

--tom