Is there a cure for wrong decision-itis?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robert_Z, May 31, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I have never made a good decision in my entire life. I always second guess, I am always changing my mind, and my ultimate decisions are always wrong. And I am not talking just about major life decisions, but also everyday minor decisions.

For instance, yesterday I got on ticketmaster at 8am to buy some Spurs finals tickets for game 2. I got right through, but when I saw the choice of tickets, instead of purchasing them, I decided to go back to the beginning, even though I had already selected the "best seats available" option. You see, my girlfriend is far-sighted but has not bought glasses. The seats that came up were upper level. So I thought maybe if I went back, magiclly some closer seats would appear. What an ass. [​IMG]

Geez, and I had told her I was gonna buy tickets. She was so excited. But I thought too much and made another bad choice. Needless to say, I was unable to get back through as other folks had clogged the system with their orders. Tickets sold out in like 15 minutes.

It is things like this that make me hate myself, and I never change. And I guarantee you all that game 2 will probably be the greatest game in finals history, if nothing else just because I was stupid enough to somehow not buy tickets that were practically in my hands.

Is there a way to keep from perpetually shooting yourself in the foot?

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Robert, the problem with this thread is you will choose the wrong advice to follow. [​IMG]

Sorry about the Spurs tickets, but I am sure you can get some if you really want them. Is scalping legal in tx?

3. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I think that the only way to avoid making similar decisions in the future is to either learn from your mistakes or learn vicariously from the mistakes of others. For example, when I made the decision to go to earn my Doctorate, I didn't fully realize the financial burden I would be taking on for many years to come. I feel very bad about this, however, I now make much better decisions when it comes to other financially-related matters.

4. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Go with your first instinct.

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it. The only people who don't goof up are the ones who don't do anything !

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I wouldn't kick myself over something like this. You were thinking of your girlfriend when you decided to go back and try to get closer seats...that must count for something, right? It wasn't a bad decision...just bad luck.

Bruce

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

do these decisions include the tapping 3000? [​IMG]

8. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I think everybody does makes these types of decisons all the time. That's why they say hindsight is an exact science. Until we've seen the error in our decision, we don't know it's a bad one.

BTW, though, if your gf is far-sighted she'd have no problem with seats far away (or close up). I'm far sighted and the only things I have trouble seeing are reading material and my computer monitor. . if it's closer than 2-3 feet or so. Anything farther than that is great. In fact, a lot of far-sighted people have better than 20/20 vision (because that only measures long distances).

9. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

10. Rain

Rain Producer

The solution is very simple.

If every decision you've ever made has been wrong, the the opposite must be correct.

From now on you just do the exact opposite of what your instinct tells you to.

"Hello. I'm George. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents."

[​IMG]

11. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

This could not mirror my life anymore. I have made one wrong decision after another. About three months ago I made a decision, to just make all of my choices with confidence. I thought that at the time of my choice, whatever it may be, it is the right one and damn the consequences.

After a very tough two years in my life, I don't think I could be happier. I have even noticed that with my new found sense of direction, my wife seems to even be more attracted to me. This is just a bit of advice that I can offer. Not always the best for everyone, but it sure worked for me.

Good Luck,
    Brandon

12. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

13. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Robert, You're sweating the small stuff too much. In your ticket situation what ticketmaster comes back with is out of your control. You plug in best seats and it comes back with something. You either want to go or don't. The time to decide is before you begin the ticket process, not when the seats come up. What's the cure, start making decisions in low risk situations without fretting over it. The more you do that the more confidence you will gain. Some people are more indecisive than others, try not to torture yourself over it. That will only make it worse. I seriously doubt if every decision you've made is wrong. I've read some of your responses to threads and they are thought out and logical. Give yourself a little slack.