What's new

Is there a consumer software product that can make digital video look like film...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Someday down the line I would like to get back into "film" production as I had with Super 8 and 16mm, but of course film and processing is way-y-y over the top pricewise, so I assume I will go to digital video, probably HD. But I don't like the "look" of video - it hasn't a grain structure and just doesn't feel right to me. Is there a software program that can add the "missing elements" when transposing from a final, edited DVD to a blank?

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I know what you mean. Digital video just looks too pure sometimes for wanting something to look as if it weren't with the latest tech.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I'm a big supporter of the "Digital film" revolution. I truly believe that anyone who thinks video can not or should not replace film in motion pictures is just being foolish, illogical, and romanticizing the technology. (I don't necessarily think video is ready to take over film right now, but I know it's inevitable, and I can't wait to see "Superman Returns", which is shot on the new Genesis Camera. Perhaps that will be the turning point of the medium)

That being said, I've recently started work on a project that I wanted to have a dirty, 70's grind-house feel to it. After debating for a while, I came to the conclusion I would just HAVE to shoot it on film to achieve that look. It will never truly be replicable with video because what gives it its "flavor" are the flaws of the film medium that we're conditioned to respond to.

There are various filters and plugins available for Adobe Premier and other editing programs that can add flicker and grain to your video. It never looks like anything more than a cheap gimmick, and will just draw more attention to the video than anything else. If you intend it to be used as a special effect( like if you wanted to fake and old 30's news reel) then it makes sense to use. However, if you intend to make a modern story you should learn to use your camera to the best of its abilities, and not try to artificially degrade it to somehow make it better.

That's how I feel about it anyways, not trying to preach or anything.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I sort of agree with Zack. Although anything higher than 24fps doesn't feel film like at all, it's a PITA to focus on moving objects. :frowning: I truly hope that changes in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks