Is there a concensus on Digital Audio cable quality like there is on Optical?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Alex_Santos, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

As far as I understand it, the concensus is that optical cables are pretty much going to get the same results no matter how expensive they are. Im wondering if its the same way for digital cables?

2. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Is there a consensus about optical cables? I would assume that there would be differences in quality of optical cables. Some people complain of 'jitter' using digital sources which has been fixed with a better cable. It would have to do with how well the glass fibres are polished I would assume, any opaque spots would deflect/absord parts of the light....

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yeah, no consensus about optical cables. One easy test to compare two of them, is to shine a flashlight at one end, and look at how bright the light is at the other end. Or, you can even hook it up to a player, and see how bright the red is at the other end. There definately are cheap (poor performance) optical cables just as there are more expensive (better performance) optical cables.

4. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Ive read several places that, for the most part, optical quality won't make a difference in percieved quality. Of course the high end will be better than the 2 dollar cables. The question still remains about the digital cables, does quality matter among the mid and high end cables?

5. Mike Boniferro

Alex, between mid and high end, I would hazard that you wouldn't notice much of a difference. Of course between low and mid you would (low being a cable made with sheet metal connectors and no proper shielding) but as far as I know, if the 1's and 0's get through without a problem, then you're ok

6. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Thanks Mike but are you talking about Optical or Digital? At least someone finally got my point.

7. Mike Boniferro

lol, sorry Alex, I was talking about Coax (hehe, both are digital) [​IMG]

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

9. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Another good choice is a $5 RCA brand video dubbing cable. Save the money buy & some DVDs instead. Or a couple months of Netflix.

10. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

How can you use a video cable for audio?

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

12. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Bob- Are even those cheap yellow connector "video" RCA cables 75 ohm? *Component* video cables definitely are 75 ohm.

13. Mike Boniferro

even if you don't believe that cables make a difference, you want to be careful about using those 'cheap yellow cables'. The ones that come in the box are VERY poorly made, and you will notice a difference with even a mild cable upgrade. The sheet metal connectors are horrible compared to any gold plated ones, and the 'shield' on those actual carry the signal, so there is no shield in essence. And they are made for 75 ohm impedence, however any bends in the cable will cause that to change.

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Consider the following link regarding digital cables. Yes the ones that come with units are very inexpensively made but if appearance isn't a priority and you haven't damaged them, they might be all you need.

15. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Thanks anyways. Im not that strapped for cash. Although Im not much wiser after this thread either but I guess you just have to roll with the punches. I think Im going to pick up the cable when I make my BJC purhcase later this month. Thanks for the input guys.

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Mike- And I think I can add one more thing on to what you said, that slightly contradicts Chu. [​IMG]

One other problem with the cheapie yellow ones, is that the connectors are defintely not 75 ohm rated. Good component video cables maintain the 75 ohm impedance the whole way. Now, whether that matters or not... [​IMG]

17. Mike Boniferro

lol, yah I forgot to mention the connectors.... whether that matters or not [​IMG]

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

For the connectors, nope. For the wire length, it depends on the length and the frequency you're passing. Don't forget that you're gonna find a 75 ohm terminating resistor in your system and don't think for a second that it's exactly 75.00000 etc ohms.