What's new

Is there a comprehensive online list of every DVD released in R1? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The title says it all, is there a comprehensive online list of every DVD released in R1?
You would think there would be but searching with Google I found absolutely nothing of the kind I was wanting, a chronological list of DVD's released in R1 since the beginning...nothing...nothing that I can find anyway.

Anybody have a site they go to?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I tried that one Dave but not only is it ridiculously cumbersome to open up (even using several different programs) but it is also alphabetical only, I need a chronological list from the very first year.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Kevin, simply sort the excel file by release date and you'll have the info you need.

Thank you David Allum for providing the link. That is very interesting info. I can't imagine anyone having the time or inclination to track that kind of info!

Steve

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't have excel so I downloaded a spreadsheet viewer from Microsoft and was then able to view & sort out what I wanted...these lists are inaccurate on most things.
For instance the "release date" section only has a date about every thirty to forty titles and the "timestamp" section is very inaccurate, for instance if you look at Criterion's This Is Spinal Tap timestamp is gives 2003 as a date....the disc was taken out of print many years before that.

I guess I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway David & Steve.

Micheal_CAR

Auditioning
A couple of points about this database (I help maintain it and also provide a searchable version on the web).

1) The date stamps indicate the last time the entry was updated. The database is constantly being updated, modified, corrected, etc. The purpose of the timestamp is to aid those who wish to track modifications to the database (if they are only pulling updates instead of pulling the full database).

2) There are 2 fields for the release date. The field "Released" is used for forthcoming titles only (when empty this should indicate the title was released, cancelled, or postponed). The field you want to sort by is "DVD_ReleaseDate" were we store the original release date for all titles (if known -- and there are very few holes in this field).

3) While this database doesn't have every single known Region 1 release in the known universe, it is (to the best of our knowledge) the "most" complete list. There are also Region 0 releases included if they are distributed in North America. We are still looking for a good source of Canadian only releases.

4) Again, this database is updated on a regular basis (sometimes multiple times a day).

If you have any more questions or thoughts, please let me know.

thanks

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

There was no such field in the Excel version I downloaded, none that I could find anyway.
If I was to download the HTML version again is there an application you could recommend that would be less laborious (timewise, accessability) in order to view these files?

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
I downloaded the excel spreadsheet, I think it's a very cool resource, and quite managable (but I have MS Excel).

DVD_ReleaseDate is in column M. I sorted it by this field, and Return Of Boogeyman (Boogeyman 3) was the first R1 title, from 2/1/1997:). It also says Criterion's This Is Spinal Tap was released on 7/14/1998.

There are almost 55,000 titles with 14 information fields, or 766,290 pieces of information, so you are definately going to want some piece of software to manipulate the information. I would avoid the HTML version. Do you have any spreadsheet or database program? Any one of these should be able to read the Comma Separated Values (CSV) file.

Micheal_CAR

Auditioning
As ScottHH pointed out, the HTML version doesn't look like it will do you much good (it's in alphabetical order via title) and unless you have some magic software to sort it, that's how it will look.

The Comma Separated Values file can be imported into various programs (spreadsheets, databases, etc.) and will allow you to manipulate the data.

If you would like I could pull the data, sort it for you and e-mail it to you as a "tabbed" raw text file.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't have Excel (& adobe didn't work at all) however I do have Microsoft Works Spreadsheet which I assumed would do just fine for reading and sorting a spreadsheet file...for some reason it keeps locking up every time I try to open the file, in fact almost every seemingly appropriate program I have tried to use locks up when I try to view this particular file.

Is there a good free program that you guys can recommend since nothing I have seems to want to work with this file?

...actually let me restate that, there was one program that worked (MS has a free excel viewer for download) but as I said that program doesn't show the M column, at least not that I could see.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
OK, I used the MS excel viewer again and column M is right there (when I used it before the viewer was set up in a manner that didn't show more than 10 columns...I guess, or I'm just blind.) however the viewer is minimal to say the least so I can't arrange the dates in any order that I want....:angry: ....so the question is still out there, is there a free (or even a trial period) program out there that lets me arrange the excel data as I wish?
This isn't a life or death thing by any means however I would like to be able to look up something as simple as this without all of the hassle and without needing to spend any cash...I don't need excel for any other reason so I am not going to buy it simply for this.

This is the reason I asked if it would be easier to manipulate the HTML data with different program since, apparently, excel isn't a very "open" format.

Micheal_CAR

Auditioning
There is a freeware Office Suite (602PC SUITE 4.1) out there that includes a spreadsheet that will allow you to import the CSV file version. From there you should be able to sort (if the freeware version supports it).

since I am a new member here, I still haven't posted enough messages to allow me to include a URL, but change the vvv to www in the following to find it at TuCows (it is a highly rated freeware package). I haven't used it, but from the description, it shows promise Good Luck:

vvv.tucows.com/preview/198728.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks