Is there a Blue Velvet Special Edition coming?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Moran, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

I have heard numerous rumors that there is going to be a Special Edition of David Lynch's Blue Velvet? Is this true? If so does anyone have a projected release date?

2. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Yes, it is in the works from MGM...but what exactly will make this edition 'special' is still not really known yet (other than an audio remix).

3. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

Interview footage and possibly deleted scenes.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Shoot, there's a special edition of everything coming! Seems like it, anyway. But you know I'll be picking up the BV SE as it's my favorite Lynch flick.

5. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Seems that MGM released the current BV disc without Lynch's involvement and were pretty embarassed when he said something about it.

He's personally remixed the sound into a new 6 track mix which should be sweet!

I've also heard that he'd be interested in including some deleted footage as supplement (apparently a girl lighting her nipples on fire is one scene).

Either way, these are great times for Lynch fans!

6. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

I'm fairly happy with the disc that's out- which is more than I can say for the Dune disc. Luckily there's a special edition planned for that one, too (for April release).

7. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

maybe i've been in the dark for a while, but i don't remember hearing anything about a dune rerelese. what do they have lined up for it? all you have to do is read that making of dune book that came out when the movie did to find out that there is a ton of extra stuff.

8. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

The Dune release is not by Universal for Lynch's Dune Theatrical Movie, but a Special Edition by Artisan for the Sci Fi Version of "Frank Herberts Dune".

9. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

Dammit! That's a disappointment. I thought I read something on the Studio Day coverage about a SE of Lynch's Dune and when I saw the blurb in a video magazine I assumed incorrectly. I really want an anamorphic release and am just getting desperate I guess!

Ah well at least we seem to be getting everthing else by Lynch this year. If USA finally coughs up that Lost Highway disc, that is....

10. Jeff Krispow

Jeff Krispow Stunt Coordinator

There has finally been some new news on the Blue Velvet Special Edition front.
    According to the latest Video Business to hit my doorstep today, the S.E. DVD is scheduled for release on June 4.
    Note: This is a revised version of an earlier posting I made. I found more information on the actual disc specs + some info on additional supplementary materials. Turned out there was a full-page ad for Blue Velvet on the back cover that I totally missed the first time around...
    Included on the disc is:
    • Color / 1986 / 121 min.
    • Catalog #1003504
    • 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer — a new digital anamorphic transfer overseen by David Lynch
    • English Dolby Digital 5.1
    • French Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo
    • Spanish Dolby Digital 1.0 mono
    • Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese
    • Mysteries of Love documentary – features fresh interviews with stars Kyle MacLachlan, Isabella Rossellini, Dennis Hopper and Laura Dern, as well as rare interview footage with David Lynch
    • Are You A Pervert? deleted scenes featurette
    • Photo Gallery
    • Promotional Materials
    • More supplementary materials TBA...
    • Retail Price: $24.95
    Enjoy!

11. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

June 4th is shaping up to be one hell of a release day. I'm glad I never gave in to the urge to buy the original release. Love the title for the deleted scenes documentary as well.[​IMG]
    Richard

12. Jeff Krispow

If you refer back to my previous posting, you'll find newly-added info as to what's on the DVD.

I have now added all the actual disc specs (image, audio, subtitles) + info on additional supplementary materials.

13. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    Perhaps I'm an idiot, but I'm not entirely clear on the "deleted scenes featurette." Does this mean that:

a)It is a featurette on the editing/removal of the deleted scenes (ie: why they were removed, what they are, etc.), and that the deleted scenes are part of the "other supplementary materials"? or

b) It is merely a featurette on the existence of deleted scenes, and that there are none actually on the disc (or, almost worse yet, that there are clips of deleted material in the featurette, but no full scenes)? or

c) It is a featurette that contains the deleted scenes?

I hope it's either A or C (basically, I want to actually see the deleted scenes). Also, pardon my questioning, but is this fact? The Digital Bits reported today that MGM announced its June titles today (including UHF, also on June 4th), but there was no mention of a Blue Velvet Special Edition. Though, I'm sure if there was an ad in a reliable magazine, then it's true, but I'm just wary (especially with Lynch DVDs). Good scoop, though. Thanks for the update.

14. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

Is the cover art shown in the ad? Cold we get a scan? Thanks anyway for listing the specs.

15. Jeff Krispow

Jeremy:
    According to the article, it is a "deleted scenes featurette." But the ad sheet itself calls it a "Deleted Scenes Montage." So basically, yes, I think it's completely safe to assume that the the DVD WILL contain some deleted scenes. As to what deleted scenes they decide to include, I haven't the slightest clue. But if I find out, I'll post it here.
    Joel:
    Yes, the ad has a picture of the DVD cover. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources up to scan anything right now. (My wife and I bought a new house, and we start moving in on March 1st, so most everything is packed up except for some essentials -- like the laptop).
    But basically, the DVD cover has a background of, you guessed it, blue velvet. The title is in the center of the package, in its cursive script. A photo comp is added at the bottom of the package, featuring the standard shot of a "reclining" Dorothy being held by a shirtless Jeffrey. The top of the box features the standard MGM Special Edition banner.
    This is a pic of a UK VHS cover, but that's basically the design of the MGM DVD... only again, the movie's "title" is in the middle of the DVD box, and the entire background is this gorgeous wavey blue velvet image. Oh, and the actual picture of Jeff and Dorothy is definitely not stretched up vertically as it is on this cover -- it's the proper dimensions.
    [c][​IMG]
    Again... THIS IS NOT THE NEW US DVD SE ARTWORK![/c]
    Sorry I can't provide an actual scan right now; hope you understand. But I hope that the description and the "fake" scan gives you a good idea of what it look likes. If I get access to my scanner again in the near future (i.e., when I unpack), I'll post a proper picture if someone else hasn't already done so.

16. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Agent

I, for one, am just happy that this is not a title that has to be purchased from Lynch's website for $39.95 plus $10 shipping. $24.95 or less from my local b&m feels much better to my wallet.

17. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

Dvdfile just announced it.
    One of the extras is a "'Siskel and Ebert' critical review of the film." [​IMG] (for anyone who doesn't know, Ebert gave BV one star and felt it was misogynist, Siskel had it on his top ten list)

18. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Lord, I think I just wet my pants.:b

19. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

[​IMG]

20. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Didnt the current version of Blue Velvet just come out last year? I'm trying to convince myself to trade up but I only watched my copy once since buying it.
    The deleted scenes are killing me though...
    By the way, how come no one ever talks about Wild At Heart ?? I see a bit of talk about Lost Highway...