What's new

Is there a big jump in quality upgrading Paradigm Titans to Mini-monitors? (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
Currently my equipment is:

Mains: Titans v2

Center: CC-150

Surrounds: Atoms

Sub: PDR-10

Would upgrading the mains to Mini-monitors and the center to a CC-270 or CC-370 and moving my Titans to the rear offer a significant improvement? I can afford this upgrade soon, but would I be better suited to wait another year or possibly longer to go save for Studio/20s or 40s and Studio/CC? I want to get the Studio speakers eventually because I've auditioned them and love them, but if the mini-monitors would give me a nice sound quality upgrade I wouldn't mind having to save a little longer for a full Reference series setup and use the mini-monitors in the meantime.

Has anyone heard both and can offer a comparison?

thanks.

p.s. I am 50/50 HT/Music

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I currently have the Mini Monitors/CC-370 in front and the Titans in the rear with a PS-1000 sub.
The difference between the Mini Monitors and the Titans are not that much. The biggest difference would be with the CC-370 center channel. It is a much bigger and better speaker.
But in the end, if you want to upgrade to Studio's (Which is a very good choice) I would pass on the Minis. You are not going to find that much of an improvment to merit the extra cost. Save your money for now and get the Studios and a better sub.

Tony Meconiates

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Brian....

Kami, BTW, I have the 40's, a CC and PW 2200 and I am loving it... Save for the studios...

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
I think the difference between the Titans and the Minis when used as mains (as opposed to surrounds) is quite noticeable. I wouldn't call it night and day, but it is a nice improvement. However, the jump to the Studio line is a larger one. If your dealer has a tradein program such that you could trade the Mini's in for Studio 20's or 40's within a year at full retail, then upgrade to the Minis. If not, just hold off and save for the Studios.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would also say that your money would be well spent on Mini Monitors vs Titans. I did an A-B demo for 2 days between the two in my home, and I chose the Minis. The primary difference is the accuracy in the midrange, and the highs are cleaner. The Minis can handle quite a bit more power than the Titans, and this was my deciding factor. I was using 4 Titans, and I swapped out the mains for Minis because they sound MUCH better for music. The difference is less noticable for movies, and is also very dependant on the gear you are driving them with.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I suggest you save a little more money and go for the Monitor 7s as mains and move the Titans to surrounds. You will definitely hear a difference between the Titans and the Monitor 7s.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I'd pass the mini's and perhaps move up to a higher Monitor in the line, for a bigger difference. I personally have a Monitor 7 / mini's rear with a pw-2200, and have put it up against a friends Titan's (I put my mini's in front) and found the difference to be quite noticable, but in your case perhaps not worth the extra cash with bigger sights on the horizon. My M7's on the other hand were a large improvement, but obvious, a nice bit more expensive. If your dead set on an upgrade now, maybe the 5's or 7's would be better, but honestly, if it were me, I'd save until next year and get your Studio setup.

Kami

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies guys!
Mixed opinions but that's alright...gives me more to think about.
I figured the mini's wouldn't be a big upgrade.
What about Monitor 3's or Monitor 5's? I don't want floorstanding speakers. Are those two a bigger improvement for midrange and highs over the mini's? Bass isn't a concern to me since I use a sub, and if that's the only real improvement as you move up in the monitor line I will for sure wait for Studios.
Also found out I have a healthy tax return coming soon so that can help a bit too ;)

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
from my experience and after listening to the paradigm speakers for many times, the sound is not so different within the series. there are differences but not much (excluding bass) maybe because they share the same type of drivers. when i upgraded from the performance series, i skipped the monitor lines and went for the studio's and got a big improvement. If you can just wait some more, save the money for the studios.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I had a pair of Monitor 3's for a year. I really loved them. They are a bit messy on the bass, but for a college kid without money for a sub, they were certainly a great pair of speakers for me. From what I've seen, and someone may correct me, the Monitor 5's are simply a full height Mini-Monitor.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Monitor 5s have dual 6 1/2" drivers, where the Mini is a single. The 3 uses an 8" driver, and though it has lower bass than the Mini or 5, it is a bit "muddy" as stated. If one is to set the Minis to small, I can not really see any reason to spend more money on 5s or 7s. Studio 20s or 40s is a different story...

Kami

Screenwriter
Monitor 5s have dual 6 1/2" drivers, where the Mini is a single. The 3 uses an 8" driver, and though it has lower bass than the Mini or 5, it is a bit "muddy" as stated. If one is to set the Minis to small, I can not really see any reason to spend more money on 5s or 7s. Studio 20s or 40s is a different story...
Thanks...that is what I was looking to hear. My speakers would be set to small so extra bass is pretty useless since my receiver has a cut off at 90hz.

Guess I will save for the Studios and in the meantime maybe upgrade my sub instead of the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread