Is there a big difference between the Outlaw LFM-1 and LFM-1 Plus sub?

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I know that the LFM-1 Plus gets 25 more watts of power, a special eq and a port plug. Does that translate into a big performance gain compared to the normal LFM-1 sub? And is the extra $100 worth the upgrade?
$579 for the LFM-1
$679 for the LFM-1 Plus.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, the short answer is no. The Outlaws are derived from designs from Hsu. The Outlaws have an upgraded finish with a sheet of plexiglass on top, and probably a shinier finish than the Hsu. Go to hsuresearch.com and they have a special on the equivalent of the LFM-1 for about $539 + $53 shipping.

The LFM-1 Plus is quite similar to the Hsu VTF-3MKII. I think you will be pretty happy with the Hsu STF-3 for $602 delivered and save about $150 over the 1-Plus.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Arthur,

My next question is, what is the difference between the VTF-3 MK and the STF-3? And is the extra $100 worth the upgrade to the VTF-3 MK?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jeff

The (V)TF-3MKII has (V)ariable tuning. By flipping a switch on the rear and inserting a port plug, (like the LFM-1 Plus), you can tune the VTF-3 to 18Hz.

The VTF-3MKII is not on sale. It is $752 delivered. The STF-3 is on sale for $602 delivered.

Only you can decide if the extra 8 Hz of extension is worth $150 more. I can say this, at the sale price of $602 delivered, if you find yourself really wanting more, you should be able to sell it for a very good price.

Basically, you would only notice the difference on the lowest, loudest material. I used a subwoofer that performs very much like the STF-3 for about 9 years and found it very satisfying.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Arthur,

Thanks a lot for all of your info. You have been very helpful.
I am really not too concerned about playing below 20hz anyway so the $150 imo isn't worth it. The STF-3 sounds like what I am leaning towards.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro