is there a big difference between the Monitor 7 and Monitor 11?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike Matthews, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Mike Matthews

Mike Matthews Stunt Coordinator

i'm looking at one of the following:

Monitor 7s
    CC-370
    Mini Monitors
    PW2200

$1,951

Monitor 11s
    CC-370
    Mini Monitors
    PW2200

$2, 259

is there a big difference in sound quality? i auditioned Monitor 11s and was blown away...but i'm wondering if 7s will still sound as good. if the 11s sound the same and can just handle more power and volume...i'll just go with the 7s. please help!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I felt there was a pretty noticable difference in bass between the two. By themselves, I prefer the 11s, no question. If you don't listen to a lot of music, particularly 2ch music, you may not benefit from the additional extension of the 11s though.

Sounds like a good setup either way.

3. Mike Matthews

hmm - i'm definitely a HUGE music fan, and i listen constantly. maybe that's reason enough to splurge for the 11s

4. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

I think the 11s are way better, but not because of the bass. Yes they have more bass. Yes they have more dynamic bass. But where they shine is in the midrange. They actually have one. Listen to some simple, quiet female vocal music and the difference will be apparent.

5. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the last post. The 7's do lack some midrange. They have plenty of bass, but I think the only weakness is the mids. I have never heard the 11s.

6. Mike Matthews

ok, i'm sold on the 11s. my only other problem is choosing the subwoofer. with 11s, mini monitors, and a CC-370, i want to find an SVS that will match well. I was going to go with the Paradigm PW2200, but i've been hearing that the SVS subs often perform a bit better and are less expensive. can anyone help me find an SVS that will compliment this system nicely?

7. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Brand matching between speakers and subwoofer is in no way critical, with the possible exception of satellite/sub systems whose satellites have poor extension (but in these cases the whole system is a package anyways).

If you're in the states, SVS is probably the better value if you can tolerate its size. The SVS guys post here frequently and from what I've read, are extremely helpful. Try asking them, though my guess is that any SVS sub would do fine - do it according to your budget.

8. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

SVS:
    Also, there are multiple links on the SVS site to email technical questions to them. I have always gotten a response in