Is there a best time to buy a new TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Aug 7, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    (Note: not sure if this is best suited for here or the Coupons/Bargains section.)

I'm wondering if there is any particular holiday or time of the year when TVs are on sale. I'm thinking about buying a new TV at Best Buy this weekend with the "preferred customer" coupon (get a Toshiba 50H72, 10% off coupon, free shipping, 18 mo. no interest). But then I wonder if the TV would go on sale later in the year for >10% off.

18 mo. no interest financing is frequent. Free shipping seems to be the norm right now. And 10% discount is decent but not greater than a good sale.

Any thoughts on TV pricing, good times for sales, and the best time to buy?

Thanks.

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

With the new models creeping into the showrooms, you should be able to get a decent deal on old models (much more than 10%). Problem is, they are old models. Ex: Mits 55909, usually 5k, is now 4k or less at some B&M dealers.

Then there is the whole technology battle (new DLP models, DVI capabilities, etc), so the only assumption I have made is: NOW is a BAD time to buy a TV.

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks for the feedback. Since I'm looking at a new model, the clearance pricing on previous year's models doesn't matter to me. As for DLP and other display technologies, they are still only in more expensive models (though that will change eventually). And I'm not going to worry about future upgrade issues -- I'm buying for what will be good now.

I guess I'm ignoring the HDTV confusion and just wondering if there is a best time to purchase for best prices on current TVs.

4. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

You won't find many sales that take more than 10% off, so BB's sale is a good one. Typically you'll find the best sales in mid-summer and a couple weeks before Thanksgiving.

As far as "technology battles," there will always be something coming down the road that's better than what you have now... if you wait for things to settle down they never will. Now is actually a very good time to buy a TV; other than Plasma TVs, prices on HDTVs have pretty much reached the points they were before HDTV was introduced.

I wouldn't even be concerned with the DVI thing... Mitsubishi makes more HDTVs than anybody, and they just released their entire 2003 line of TVs, and not a single one of them has a DVI interface. If the biggest seller in the HDTV industry doesn't think DVI is going anywhere, that's good enough for me.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Old model clearances are where you'll get the best deals. The new models you are interested in will go down in price sometime next year. As for these technologically transitional times, I still say go for it. You want a good prog-scan image for watching DVDs? Now's the time.

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Dave,

I bought my HDTV this past December and got a great deal at the time. Now, with the new model coming out, my TV is selling for less than I paid. With that said, I agree with Jack, the best deal will be on clearance models.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thanks for the feedback [​IMG] I need to do some measuring to see what TV would best fit, but I may well buy one this weekend.
    My girlfriend works for SBE (Society of Broadcast Engineers), so she asked a friend out in Syracuse (I'm in Rochester, 60 miles away) about the state of DTV broadcasts here. Ugh. Noone is broadcasting DTV here in town, and it doesn't look good for the next year or three. So now I'm rethinking getting an HDTV-capable set versus an analog set with the "squeeze".
    Nothing helps sell product like confusion [​IMG]

8. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Yeah, but it's a great time to be buying an RPTV....

D-mn optimists. Nothing ruins my day more than the old "Glass is half full" argument. The glass is half-empty and the remaining beer is flat !

Just because we've seen great enhancements in RPTV pix quality, there is so much crap out there my brain is frying trying to compare features for all projection styles.

Give me a Model T - and make it black. (any Henry Ford fans out there ?)

9. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

As others have pinted out, now is a great time to buy.

Also, as others have pointed out, DVI is only the latest in "excuses" users can use to "wait." Next year, we will have a few new ones.

And, you can get a terrific deal on a last year's model, which might make it possible to pick up a much higher quality set than you even thought...

-Bruce in Chi-Town

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I anticipate buying a TV in the near future -- prices have gone down and quality up the past few years. It's just not obvious to me know whether it's worth spending the money on a HDTV or getting a good analog one that does the squeeze (for DVDs) and saving a few hundred.

11. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

The place I usually buy my TVs always has a sale in January. They say that a lot of places have sales right before the super bowl, because everyone realizes that they don't want to watch the big game on a small TV.

Something to think about.

Bryan