What's new

Is there a BD you wish you had not purchased? (1 Viewer)

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
I had the time to watch the whole SD set before buying a BD player and Blade Runner in BD format. I watched it in high def and then again in SD: I admit there is enhancement but on my equipment I don't think it's always this much obvious. Shall I be punished for that? Please, no fangs.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you're saying you compared the SD and Blu-ray versions of "The Final Cut" on a non-HD display, then no, I don't suppose you would see much difference. From your previous post, it appeared you were talking about the old standard definition DVD of Blade Runner; hence the confusion.

Did you do the same SD/Blu-ray comparison with Batman Begins and Indy/Crystal Skull? Because those, too, would have had SD and Blu-ray sourced from the same master.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Thanks for that info, Michael. I had not seen those threads -- I just recently got into BD, so I am still catching up on all the old news on previous releases.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Thanks for the quick follow-ups, Cameron! :emoji_thumbsup: Sounds like I will probably just buy the DVD for the family instead (as much as I hate to spend the $ on a new release DVD at this point :P).

_Man_

Rolando

Screenwriter
Was going over the thread to see if there was anything I should avoid as well. Some BDs are starting to become available at about 50% less than their original price and temptation starts settling in.

Patton and other DNRed BDs that got a lot of thread time are fairly obvious but you never know about some others.

Reason I am looking is that I am a big fan of many Fox titles like Predator and Commando and I just laughed at their original release. BD 25, mpeg2 encoding, no features and $40. Insulting if you ask me.

However some are falling uder the $20 (Canadian) mark and I even found those 2 particular titles at under $15. I can definitely live with no features but I am assuming at original $40 with no feeatures it must have at least optimal PQ.

So I am checking around for details on these and other early releases getting cheaper as time goes by. I already heard about Dark City and might still bite once it is $10 despite the heavy handed DNR.

anyne have an opinion on Predator and Commando and are there other similar titles that should be avoided in terms of not up to parr PQ.

So far looks like these might not be worth it unless they are under $10 due to subpar PQ on BD:
T2
Total Recall
Dark City

What about Stargate, Devil's Rejects and Saw series? These are Lionsgate releases around same time as T2 and TR.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Rolando, Stargate has an outstanding PQ in my opinion. I can't for the life of me see what the gripes are about that one. Predator is better in it's colors than the 2 disc sd dvd release and the audio is way better. Is it worth the upgrade? That will depend on how much you like it and if you can get it cheap enough I'd say get it. Stealth, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, is one that didn't impress me on Blu.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I thought Dark City looked pretty good on my mere 52" set. But i am aware of the "problems" it has.
Predator looks good too. But yea, i got it for $20, and i put it in a 2 disc Blu-ray case along with the DVD extras. Now i have a Blu-ray SE, good enough.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I thought Total Recall was ok. It's probably worth it, if you can find it cheaply. I never bought the DVD, but I thought I heard the DVD was pretty mediocre, if not downright bad, so the BD should be a pretty good upgrade anyway.

Similar things can be said about Dark City (vs the original DVD) despite the different issues involved. Also, if you love that movie, it'd be very hard not to at least check out the new director's cut. Yeah, I wish they hadn't DNRed it so much (and also use better film source for certain shots w/ Jennifer Connelley in it), but to me, it's definitely worth the upgrade even though it's a flawed product.

Maybe I'll also pick up Stargate from a bargain bin one of these days. :P

_Man_

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks Man-Fai. I feel better about my purchase now. I will go rip open those wrappers tonight
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I might pick up total recall and stargate as well when they drop a bit more. those titles were about $19.99 out the gate around here so even $15 does not seem like as good a deal as it did for Predator.
But seeing as how I enjoyed those movies and don't own the DVDs anymore (sold the original releases in anticipation of SEs then never got them) I think I might let myself get tempted. Might be time for an Arnie party. I NEED CONAN!!!

StevieRay

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I bought a Blu-ray player for my computer just last weekend. I bought T2 at Circuit City, cause they're going out of business. I bought Stargate for $10 at WalMart. I was suspicious, so I tried it when I got home. On the main menu, the right side doesn't work. The right side is to set audio and captions. The popup menu doesn't work. I've heard that the "burned-in" subtitles, i.e., Egyptian and alien subtitles are missing. Lionsgate refuses to return calls, email bounces, no return program. T2 is theatrical version, not extended. Most places have been selling this inferior version for $30. Not worth it. I won't buy any more Lionsgate titles until I get a chance to test them myself (I'll rent or borrow from friends).

When DVDs came out, the studios rushed to get titles that don't take advantage of DVD resolution or Dolby 5.1/DTS. (like Groundhog day). But eventually, we got great movies with great sound. It's a shame the execs are stupid. If I pay $30 for a freakin movie, I better get the BEST version. Not one that's inferior to a $10 DVD.

justinslot

Agent
Real Name
Justin Slotman
I regret any Lions Gate Marvel animated feature I've bought. Bad movies, and the format adds nothing to the contemporary "Saturday morning" style they used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks