What's new

Is there a bartender in the house? (1 Viewer)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Now that summer is finally arriving in Seattle, I am looking for recommendations on a good heavy duty blender to make iced drinks - especially ones with tequila in them if you get my drift.

The standard blenders you get at Target/Sears just don't seem to have the power to crush the ice into a good slushy consistency so I am thinking that a bar type - professional blender is the investment to make.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Colin

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If you do not want to spend $400+, you can buy the consumer version of the classic Waring 2 speed blender

Waring Pro

or the stainless steel commercial version

Waring commercial

Either of these is more than enough for the toughest bar drinks and the consumer model is less expensive than some of the others that feature a gagillion useless buttons and a lousy motor. Two speeds is all you need for a blender, trust me. The commercial is overkill for the home, unless you want to grind rocks. I own the Waring Pro with a black base and it will probably outlast me.

Edit: Had 2 links to the same product.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I was a bartender at a Chi Chi's about 20 years ago, so I had plenty of experience with blended drinks. I actually went to mixology school which was a riot.

My personal blender is from Williams Sonoma, the Waring 60th Anniversary model. Excellent ice crushing ability with plenty of power. Glass container is extremly thick and durable.

http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/p...e033&cmsrc=sch

Use plenty of ice in your drinks, along with plenty of booze. Keep mixers to a minimum and everyone will be happy !

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Bar Supply Distributers are pretty cool places to check out.
I once had a huge party and bought a gross of Martini glasses and bucket glasses without a problem (They are wholesale so great prices and no tax and they never asked me for ID)
You could probably get a great deal on a real pro model there

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, I got one of the waring pro blenders. I could not for the life of me get it to make a smooth consistency daiquiri. So, I returned it. Bought a couple of different $100+ blenders, returned them too. I was flipping channels and went past QVC and saw this; http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...xtDesc=blender

I said what the hell the price is right and if it sucks I'll return it. This thing works great. Crushes ice evenly, no chunks. I think that the mixing stick thing helps to crush the ice by pushing the chunks toward the impeller instead of bouncing around on top of it. It's noisy as hell, but I guess that you can't crush ice quietly. I don't know how long it will last, it's all plastic. I've used it a dozen times and everyone that tastes the drinks say where's the chunks. If I get two years out of it (it's used every weekend) I'll be happy and then go buy another.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Colin,

Taking Grant's advice, I checked out the wholesale website listed by Mike Brogan above and it has other bar blenders. It looks like the two less expensive Warings are just like the one's I listed except no chrome/stainless finish. That may be the way to go. I know I have beat up my Waring pretty good over the years (it's about 6 years old) and it hasn't even breathed heavy yet. Other blenders I have used are just too underpowered (but they look cool with all them buttons and colors).

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
A "well-blended" thanks to everyone for their advice.

I am going to go take a look at the Waring's and I even think I have a 20% off coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond which would make the price very smooth.

Kirk - thanks for the mixing tip. Gonna be in the lower 80's today, looking forward to trying it out.

Regards,

Colin

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
A "well-blended" thanks to everyone for their advice.

I am going to go take a look at the Waring's and I even think I have a 20% off coupon for Bed, Bath and Beyond which would make the price very smooth.

Kirk - thanks for the mixing tip. Gonna be in the lower 80's today, looking forward to trying it out.

Regards,

Colin

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I have a Vita Mix that is about 5 years old. It wasn't cheap but it does make some killer drinks. Pretty powerful.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I have a Vita Mix that is about 5 years old. It wasn't cheap but it does make some killer drinks. Pretty powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks