What's new

Is there a “standard” for determining used speaker pricing? (1 Viewer)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking sell my current speakers and unsure what a fair price would be.

Speakers are less 2 years old and in perfect condition with all packaging. How much off "street pricing" should I go?

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hey,

Not sure if there is a standard but from personal experience you are looking at a 50% discount at least.

You may check out e-bay and see what your speakers are going for. Obviously higher end stuff will probably command less of a discount but you also have to find someone to buy them and not everyone is familair with speakers.

Speakers are sort of a hard thing to sell, in that there is a lot of personal taste that goes into speakers and you really need to find someone who is looking for your speakers. Depending on the speakers, that can be easy or difficult.

I think that is why the discount is so large...

Not sure if that helps but good luck.

Dave

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
www.audiogon.com and ebay are what many will check to compare prices. That's what I do when buying any used gear. Whatever you set your price at, people will still try to low-ball you...so set your price, and keep in mind what is the lowest you will accept when people negotiate with you.

Dave is correct though, roughly a 50% hit for speakers that are ~2yrs old, and are not current models. It really depends on the particular speakers though.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Fortunately, the speakers are still a current model (mid to upper end) unfortunately..... with limited distribution. For that reason, after extensive searching on the internet, I can't find any second hand speakers to use as a reference. Looked at ebay and only found "new" items.

I will look at audiogon.com.

The underlining problem is that I'm emotionally attached and want to keep them. If not for the limited space in our new familyroom I would keep them. I could live with them 10" from the wall (due to rear ports) but the center channel is just to big to place on the mantle above the fireplace.

Kevin

ps. John, you have offered useful advice to me in the past......thanks again for the help.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
It depends on the speaker brand in question. Some easily get 75-80% others go around 50%. As has been said use audiogon.com and ebay for a guide.

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
I don't think that there is any set standard. I do know that when I recently sold a pair of towers that I got 75% of what I paid for them new 7 years ago. And I bought them online for under 50% of their MSRP. Supply and demand. Great sounding and/or great looking speakers will always command more. And after time word gets around as to what speakers qualify.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Thanks. I'd like to think it's not all hot air. :)

I have also bought things at big discounts, and actually sold them for more than I paid (which was still less than market price), but that does not reflect the market price for a given speaker. When you buy at a discount already, you don't consider what you paid; it still goes by what people are willing to pay for them.

Just like with a car, the first used sale takes the biggest hit, after that, the price is fairly stable for a while, depreciating more slowly with age.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
it depends purely on the actual speaker...

some go for 80% of original value (my current maggies sold for $1400 back in 1978, and go for $1100 on audiogon TODAY) and others go for 70% off retail (klipsch, polk, etc...).

tell us what your speaker actually is, audiogon has a blue book that will give you the value.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, there is an actual bluebook for used gear. One can be found on Audiogon, though you have to be a paying member to view it... They have people compiling the info from used sales, so I think they are justified in charging for the service.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Looking at the audiogon listings, people are asking 50% on the S8s and 66% on the SLCR. What they are actually getting is the real question.

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Just went to audiogon and saw the listing I think you are refering to.

S8 (8/10 - no base plate) $750
SLCR (9/10 - excellent condition) $400

That gives me a ballpark.

Thanks Chris,

Kevin

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
general rule is 50% off of original retail for the general public, 90% off retail for me :)....sorry, them's the rules...I'll expect delivery no later than next monday ;)
silly mode OFF :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks