Is there 5.1 games in the Market

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pablo Abularach, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I'm thinking on upgrading my speakers set from an ALTEC LANSING 54 (4.1) to the new LOGITEK Z-680 (5.1)
    [​IMG]
    But I dont know if there are games that already or can use 5.1 speaker set. My sound card (hercules Gametheater XP) does have 5.1 passive out puts, So I think I could hook it up, but I dont know if it is worth it, I heard that the new unreal tournament will have Dolby digital capabities.
    Thanks for any replies.
    Pablo Abularach

2. Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg Stunt Coordinator

If you are only upgrading to get the center channel and you are basically sitting alone in front of your computer, then I would recommend spending the money on something else. The sole purpose of the center channel is to make the sweet spot larger (important for HTs). However, since most people sit alone in front of their computers, a larger sweet spot isn't really needed in that setting.

As to what games support it: any game with 3D positional audio and competent drivers should drive the center channel when appropriate. As to support for DD, I'm baffled since I would expect such functionality to be provided by hardware instead of software (e.g nForce).

3. Leslie W

Leslie W Stunt Coordinator

Are you talking about PC games ? If so I don't know about them.

But every X-Box game is 5.1 just about.
    A few PS2 games might be ... but I am not sure on titles.

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Steve and Leslie,

Thanks for the replies,

I just wanted to know if there are any PC Games that could take an advantage of a 5.1 system. Or if you think if in the future Dolby digital or any other 5.1 format will be the standard in PC games, right now I think is EAX or Direct Sound, but I think this two are 4.1.

Thanks,
    Pablo Abularach