Is there 2 versions of The Phantom Menace on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jan 3, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I thought there was only one version, along with the VCD, VHS, and laserdisc. I was told it was packaged like the widescreen VHS, with the concept art booklet and film strip thingy. I never heard about this version. Is it true that it's out?

2. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

There is only one version of TPM on DVD, to my knowledge.

If you count all the formats (VCD, LD, VHS, etc) there is a debatable difference, both in presentation and video/audio quality.

Joseph

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Nope, there's just the one. It's a great disc if you can get past the edge enhancement issue. My TV's pretty small so it's never really bothered me. The only other problem I have with the disc is those darn menus with their (seemingly) endless animations and repetitive sound clips.

4. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Just one in America, that is. There are actually dozens of different versions produced with various language options for foriegn markets, I believe.

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Ahem...ARE there two versions. Sorry. Pet peeve. I think there was a version of TPM that had a separate slip case for the cover, but that was only released in Australia, I believe.

6. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

No, there is two versions of TPM on DVD in America. One includes a Dolby 2.0 Spanish track, while the other contains a Dolby 2.0 French track. Content is the same of course.