Is the X1 FP HD?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mitch Stevens, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I've heard lots of talk about people buying the X1 because of it's price, but is it an HD projector? I was thinking about buying one as well, but I wouldn't dare, if it's not HD.

2. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

The short answer .... NO

The X1 can do 480P, but since it is an SVGA proj (800 x 600 pixels) it obvoiously can't do 720P or 1080i without substantial downconversion. That said, there was a thread here a few weeks back just gushing about how phenominal HD-DirecTV (downconverted) looked on the X1.

If you are looking for a HDTV FP, you'll need at least XGA resolution. WXGA (wide XGA) is actually ideal for 720P (native) HDTV, but WXGA FP choices ard few & far between. (The Sharp 9000 comes to mind) I would expect a new crop in 6 months or less. In the meantime, be aware that the Samsung DLP RPTV's are the closest you'll get to HDTV from a DLP engine at $4000 or less.

I suggest you might want to review this thread on Front Projection: How to select ...
    Another good link is the Unofficial X1 FAQ

Scott

3. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

Mitch, he's right. If a "true HD" projector is your requirement, then prepare to shell out big $$ or wait an unknown amount of time for the technology to arrive and become more affordable.

My X1 arrives today or tomorrow, and I will test it out on several HD sources. I bought it mainly for DVD watching, but I might as well have it hooked up for HD MNF as well. Anyways, I'll be able to compare it to the picture on my Toshiba 42" HDTV. The Tosh has a very nice picture, so if the X1 is even remotely comparable to that, I'll claim that the X1 has passed the HD test to my satisfaction.

4. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Mitch

I have the X1 and a Samsung DLP TV and can see very little difference watching HD. Nobody has been able to explain how Infocus has done it but the X1 has an amazing HD picture. Better than all but a few displays I have calibrated. As with any equipment you need to see it for yourself first but I assure you that you won't believe the picture when you see it.

If you are carefull about screen size and feeding it from a good DVD player 4801/480p can be pretty damn good as well.

5. Mitch Stevens

Do projectors work on "lines of resolution" like TV's do? If so, I can't imagine how HD can look as good as on this FP as on a 1080 HDTV. Hmmmm......

I already have a 65" Widescreen HDTV, and I still find the picture much too small even though I'm sitting only 8 feet away. What I want/need for my room is a FP that will display 150" Diagonal, but I also want it to be HD. I will be sitting from the screen 19 feet away.

Does anyone know if the X1 can project a 150" image without loosing too much quality?

I was looking at the Sony 11HT, (it's HD) but reading the reviews, it's not recommended that you project and image over 90" with it, because after that it drops light output significantly, and also color saturation drops as well.

6. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Most RPTV's do not have the actual resolution required for HD but scale the image and this is the same idea. The X1 takes this to a new extreme but does a great job of it. The one thing you will hear from any X1 owner is how damn good this PJ is with an HD source.

For your application however I cannot recommend the X1. 150" picture is simply beyond it's ability to deliver a quality picture. It is capable of physically displaying the image but I have not seen good results with anything over 120" and I would limit it myself to 100".

There are some very good options out there for you but they as with anything in this business will cost you more.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you want to display 150" then I would recommend something with a lot more light output and resolution like the Sanyo PLV-70 aka Boxlite 20HD and even so, I would couple that with a high gain screen.

8. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Mitch,

Remeber that the surface area of a ~100" diagonal screen would be about 2.5 times larger than the screen area of your 65 incher. I think a screen in that size range would probably be large enough.

9. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

I've yet to test my X1 on many HD sources, but I did throw some HBOHD and SHOHD last night with a couple of movies. I have to say that I'm surprised -- nearly shocked -- at how well it handled the 1080i. Some minor lack of detail vs my Tosh 42H81, but overall the picture was more pleasing at 94" diagonally. I'm scratching my head wondering how it manages to look so good with only 800x600 pixels, but it really looks great.

10. Mitch Stevens

Ok.

After some very careful mesuring, it looks like my room isn't even big enough to have 150" inches like I had hoped for. The biggest would be 120" Diagonal. So, would the X1 be a good choice for 120"? You guys have me almost convinced. I want a VERY large screen in order to get the most, out of my movies. I want to feel like I'm in the theater!

11. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I have seen it work with 120" but I wouldn't do it myself. If you decide to do so make sure you get a digital gray screen it makes a huge difference in image quality.

12. Mitch Stevens

How much would a digital gray screen cost?

13. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I use Goo Systems screen paint on a DIY screen. I tried a number of different screens and the paint has given me the best picture so far. You may need to go with a custom mix for the larger screen. www.goosystems.com was very helpful in getting the right mix for my application.