Is the X-Box a progressive scan player?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rolando, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Thought I had read somewhere that it was. I know it is for games, up to 720p but what about movies?

Searches seem to indicate no but I figure maybe later model are...

anyone know if buying someone's old (2 year old) X-Box has disadvantages processing wise as opposed to new. Like are the newer models more performing?

thanks in advance for the info!

2. SebastienLX

SebastienLX Agent

The Xbox is NOT a progressive scan player for movies.

As for processing power of previous models over new ones, it's the same, the exact same. The only thing usually relies on the DVD player, older models have cheaper DVD-Rom player (Thomson comes to mind) that will literally stop reading discs altogether. If you can, try to get a model with a Samsung DVD player, they are the most reliable. But, it's hard to identify from the box, you actually have to open the tray to identify the player.

3. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

Also to add to the last post as far as progressive scan goes, if you have a soft modded or hard modded xbox there is a way to activate progressive scan on your xbox. It was simply disabled by Microsoft for DVD movie playback.

cheers,

Zoran

4. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    Zoran,

You beat me to it. I was just going to say "my" XBOX is a progressive player. [​IMG]

Chris

5. Cameron_Johnson

Cameron_Johnson Auditioning

X-box can display 480 progressive scan (which is what most DVD players display) and i've heard it can possibly do 720 progressive as well.

-Cameron