Is the VTF-3 shielded??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bolivar G, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

I couldnt not find any info about it on the HSU website.
    Right now the sub is next to my Sony 32" direct view tv.
    Its it safe to place it there or should I move it??

2. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Contact HSU directly - they respond generally within a day and straight from the horses mouth...

3. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

It states that it is shielded but I have first hand experience that it did indeed effect my picture tube...and I had to degauss to get rid of the color distortion....by all means move it away!

4. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Thanks for the reply. I sent HSU an email and I will be moving it away. I just had it by the TV so I play with it till I got the longer power cord or extension cord. I've only had the sub for 2 days now [​IMG]
    A different question. How does one degauss a TV?? Do you need to get that done by a proffesional?

5. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

My TV has a degauss button. You only need to do this if you can see obvious color distortions. Sony probably has a circut that automatically does this when you turn it on. I also have a VTF-3...be careful..even though it is a very nice sub I was able to drive mine into distress during certain passages of LOTR!!!!! One Question...If you put your ear close to the driver (green light on) do you hear a very slight hum? I do and this is not a ground loop issue. I am currently talking to HSU regarding this.

Mike

6. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Bolivar,

In addition to what Mike said, your TV may require you to unplug the TV while it is still on.

Mike, please keep me updated with what Hsu says. We will take care of you in the end if they keep lagging...

Regards,

Sean

7. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Hey Sean [​IMG]
    I got My VTF-3 from sean.
    As far as hearing hums, I dont really hear any hums. I put my ear right on the sub when the light was green and can hear suttle hum, but I as soon I take it off I cant hear it. I'd assume that just normal power hum from the amp??
    Its not audible until I place my ear on the sub and then its bearly audible.
    I take this is normal??

8. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

There will always be a little bit of something but if you can't hear it unless you glue your ear to the cone, don't worry about it. I think Mike's issue is a little more severe...

Sean

9. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

You can hear the Hum on mine from about 2 feet away. From my seating position I can't hear it...but I always sweat the details! It is a very nice sub and I think I may be requiring another because of the room size!

10. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Took them a while to answer my email, over 2 days.
    But here is the Email I got from them.
    "Due to the extreme size of the VTF-3 magnet, complete shielding is not
    possible. It is not a good idea to place it too close to the TV. A good
    measure would be to turn on the sub and move it gradually closer to the
    TV until such a distance where you start experiencing interference. "
    There subs might be great but there CS seems to suck compared to the SVS guys. [​IMG] I still luving this sub thou [​IMG] Was a major step up from my 8" Kenwood that I got in a HTB.

11. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I found that the sub starts interfering with the TV from about 2' away. I just finished watching the "Imposter" starring Gary Sinise. The movie is in 5.1 and the LFE track is really cool! It is subtle, however, there is a 20-25hz line that lays in the background in alot of scenes that really brings out the power of the VTF-3! Check it out.[​IMG]

12. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

I been using U-571 to test out the sub and checking the room placement sound. Its on the list they give you of Deep bass DVD's. The dts bass on there sounds awesome with this sub.
    Love how the room shakes on all the Depth charges scenes.