What's new

Is the video cable any different than the left/right? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i ran out of cables last night and ended up using my rat-shack left/right cable for the video feed. afaik, the picture looks okay, but i was just wondering if there's any difference.

i'm thinking "no"..but wanted to see what other opinions there were.

tia

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
For all general purposes... nope.

There is little to no difference.

You're safe as long as it's 75 ohm rated cable.

I'm not positive but I believe the cables they sell specificaly for Audio or Video applications may or may not have extra sheilding.

Kit_C

Grip
Audio cables (red/white) are not 75 Ohm, and should not be used for video connections.:thumbsdown:

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
If your TV has an s-video input, you'll get a much better picture than you are by just using the composite connection, regardless of what type of cab'e you're using.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you beat me to it ken...i'm actually leaving work right now to go get one.
i was just more curious about the cable question in general...
thanks to all :)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Whether the red and white audio cables work for video is a total guess until after you buy it and plug it in, or talked to someone who did.
In the best case, the manufacturer simplified things by using the same spool of coax to make all kinds of cables, so the audio lines were of equal quality to the video line.
In the worst case, the two audio cables (the metallic parts inside the plastic jacket) were of of different stock, had the wrong impedance, and had such a low bandwidth that, when used for the Pb and Pr of component video, caused smearing and ghosts.
You might get the former on one trip to Radio Shack and months later buy "the same catalog no." and get the latter.
For you progressive scan folks eavesdropping on this thread, the video cable stock used for budget cable may or may not have enough bandwidth, progressive needs twice as much as interlaced. Use HDTV grade cable for progressive scan, you will be safe, also you might get away with lesser grade cable for shorter runs, say under ten feet.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks