What's new

Is the UK version of "The Rocketeer" anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone bought the British release of "The Rocketeer"? Is it 16:9? And is the quality decent?

Amazon UK only lists it as widescreen.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone bought the British release of "The Rocketeer"? Is it 16:9? And is the quality decent?

Amazon UK only lists it as widescreen.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I haven't seen the British R2 release but you might also want to check out the Australian PAL R4 release, which I have and which is anamorphic. Still not great quality, but far better than the horrible U.S. non-anamorphic release.

All three releases are compared here www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=305
And the R2 and R4 releases are rated as a draw.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I haven't seen the British R2 release but you might also want to check out the Australian PAL R4 release, which I have and which is anamorphic. Still not great quality, but far better than the horrible U.S. non-anamorphic release.

All three releases are compared here www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=305
And the R2 and R4 releases are rated as a draw.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
R2 and R4 PAL DVDs are almost always the same DVD, just re-badged with a different cover and disc art. Go for whichever is cheaper (usually the R4 unless the R2 is on sale).

David.J

Auditioning
Real Name
David Johansson
i have the UK R2 version of the Rocketeer, that is available cheap on amazon uk right now. It is anamorphic. But it is also 4 minutes shorter. The disc itself says 104 minutes as opposed to the US 108 min. checking the time on both of the discs verifies the 4 minute difference.

The picture is decent, lots of color, maybe too much even. The only drawback is that it is rather soft. Similar to the US version. The anamorphic ratio though makes it nicer :)

So does anyone know what could be missing? could it be time compressed for any reason? I did a spot check about half way and it is only 2 minutes off at that point, so its not just one scene missing. Its either multiple bits cut or time compression for some wierd reason.

I dont see any other reviews complaining about this, nor do I see anything about alternate cuts. Anyone have any ideas?

David

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.J
i have the UK R2 version of the Rocketeer, that is available cheap on amazon uk right now. It is anamorphic. But it is also 4 minutes shorter. The disc itself says 104 minutes as opposed to the US 108 min. checking the time on both of the discs verifies the 4 minute difference.

The picture is decent, lots of color, maybe too much even. The only drawback is that it is rather soft. Similar to the US version. The anamorphic ratio though makes it nicer :)

So does anyone know what could be missing? could it be time compressed for any reason? I did a spot check about half way and it is only 2 minutes off at that point, so its not just one scene missing. Its either multiple bits cut or time compression for some wierd reason.

I dont see any other reviews complaining about this, nor do I see anything about alternate cuts. Anyone have any ideas?

David

Is it possible that it's due to the PAL speed-up difference? As a TV/DVD collector, it's a 4% speed difference between PAL and NTSC versions, if I recall.

Thanks for the info on this one (anamorphic). I will be picking this one up at AMA UK.

I just can't understand why we see some of these releases in anamorphic format with the R2/R4 versions when we don't see them released in R1 as WS enhanced versions.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
There's nothing missing on the R2/R4 versions - it's just PAL speed up. Four percent of 108 is 4, which accounts for the time difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks