What's new

Is the Toshiba HD-DVD, analog out Dolby+ 640 kps? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I read that it could be up to 640 kps. Is that's what I'm getting out the Toshiba's 6-channel out? If so, why can't it go out the old-fashioned digital cable. Dolby 640 goes out The JVC D-VHS'es optical out. What gives with that? Unless, Dolby + is beyond the 640 kps version. Is it? What the hell is Dolby +??? It sound really good, what is it?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Dolby Digital Plus is E-AC3 [E for Extended, and AC-3 is what it always has been], and you can find a complete description under the current version of the A-52 standard on the ATSC web site. Basically, it's regular Dolby Digital AC-3 with add-ons which allow for more channels and better fidelity. The total datarate can be above 1 Mbps. On Blu-Ray, it will be packed so that the standard AC-3 core, which should be 640 kbps but might be lower [448, 384, 320?], can be passed out via SPDIF. SPDIF apparently does not support the "extension" data — or at least AACS will not allow it to be passed out via the unencrypted connexion. Unfortunately, the HD DVD data structure requires muxing the core and extension data in such a way that they cannot be separated for SPDIF transmission.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Christopher, that leads me to believe the restriction would go for HD-DVD too, no 640 out the digitals, how thoughtful! To think that the 640 is just a stepping stone to the various lossless formats....'das goode! Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks