What's new

Is "The Time Machine" (1960) ever coming to Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Richard--W said:
Yes, old sci-fi posters are an inspiration. Let's see if I can get it to come out bigger:
TimeMachine1960-MGM-one.jpg
one-sheet I have more George Pal posters, if anyone wants to see them.
Belated thanks for those posters Richard--W...they brought back some very fond memories. For nearly 25 years, that 1-sheet hung proudly on my bedroom wall, and then den.

Actually, The Time Machine was the first movie-movie I recall seeing...at a drive-in...from the back of our Plymouth Suburban wagon. Typically, I would fall asleep long before the first feature ended, but not with The Time Machine. For this one, I actually crawled into the front seat, wedging myself between my parents so I could see and hear it better...even "shhhssssshhhing" them when they started yacking about other stuff.

Years later I finally found the Dell Four Color Movie Classic comic, but by that point I could only watch this movie on TV in B&W. I don't think I even saw it again in colour and widescreen until its Laserdisc release. I still have the original WHV snapcase DVD which I watch every couple of years around New Years. This movie is evergreen and ageless to me.

I hope WHV understands that there are fans of this movie with a very long history and enduring regard for it, as well as George Pal's other 50s and 60s classics (as already suggested in this thread, I would love to see a remastered Pal über-set that includes The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm in Smilebox). Although HD versions will no doubt show the seams of Pal's modestly budgeted Fx with less forgiveness, you know, I really don't care. As imaginitive storytelling, these movies worked so well that I can easily overlook their cheesier elements...just as I always have. This isn't pure nostalgia either; these truly were marvellously written, directed, and performed pictures...which remain convincing in their innocent, imaginative energy, regardless of their period production values.

So yes indeed, bring 'em on! :drum:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Speaking of posters, I have this version hanging on my computer room wall:
936full-the-time-machine-poster.jpg

It's a reproduction, but still beauful artwork. I'm glad to see such opinions of this film. It's one of those movies that takes me back to my childhood as it's one of the earlier movies I've ever seen.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Why stop there John? What about those toy cars stuck in the under-scaled lava flow? Or those cheesy 'tin can' rocket bombs? Or those obvious flashing lights in the Morlock's eyes? Heck, why not just remake the entire film with state of the art make-up and Fx? Oh wait, they did that already...and how well did that work for everyone? ;)

The thing is, I don't watch this movie for the FX. It's still a charmer - and remains engaging - for lots of other reasons.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I get so caught up in the movie that I don't notice any of those things. The best films affect you that way, I think.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
It's true that the SFX are a bit of a weak point for The Time Machine, but to me they're not as distracting as the SFX in The War of The Wires, uh I mean Worlds.

What really makes The Time Machine timeless entertainment is that it is just a good old fun adventure movie. It's also much more faithful in both spirit and storyline to the original book than the horrible 2002 remake. The book is more serious (witness what happens to Weena in the book), and a literal translation of it into movie form would be wonderful, but not as charming as the 1960 movie.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
ROclockCK said:
Why stop there John? What about those toy cars stuck in the under-scaled lava flow? Or those cheesy 'tin can' rocket bombs? Or those obvious flashing lights in the Morlock's eyes? Heck, why not just remake the entire film with state of the art make-up and Fx? Oh wait, they did that already...and how well did that work for everyone? ;)

The thing is, I don't watch this movie for the FX. It's still a charmer - and remains engaging - for lots of other reasons.

No, I'll stop there...the rest you say is what makes the film...and it is one of my favorites. Just watched last week and it's a great print upscaled. I bet i'll look great in BD!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks