What's new

Is "The Time Machine" (1960) ever coming to Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
It seems everytime I walk through BestBuy there are more and more movies getting BluRay releases, even movies that are older than The Time Machine are getting these super big box set editions, yet The Time Machine is still ignored. :( I really hope that it can get a BR release by next year. I don't need a super big boxset edition like Ben-Hur or Ten Commandments have gotten (though I'd buy one if they did make one! :D). I'd probably buy the remake as well, but I'm not clamouring for that one in particular.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the end of the year is approaching. Time for my yearly viewing of this, but on blu ray! :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought that 4-movie set with Time Machine and other classics on it. Can't wait to give it a spin. Definitely IS the best "time" to watch nearing the end of the year.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just had my yearly viewing of The Time Machine DVD a little earlier then New Years, but this year on my new TV that is able to do full 1080, verses my old set that did 720.
I was really impressed, having seen this well mastered DVD every year since 2000 or so when the DVD came out, this is the best viewing experience. The up conversion looked really impressive.
When they finally put this on blu ray, I imagine the areas a blu ray transfer will improve upon is the color saturation and contrast levels. This time viewing, I really noticed the purple colored gels used for the lamps in George's house. And the green gels were more apparent in the underground world. This will be an impressive looking blu ray.
The fake looking background painting of the underground world should be less obvious!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by benbess /t/310688/is-the-time-machine-1960-ever-coming-to-blu-ray/30#post_3882850
Another vote for this classic film. Twilight Time??
No, Warners doesn't usually farm out their Warner or MGM titles to others. But if they could give us Forbidden Planet, The Time Machine would seem like a natural afterthought.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I like to think that the 1960 The Time Machine, 1953 War of The Worlds and 1951 When Worlds Collide would make the best trio of George Pal films to be released on blu ray. :) I hope Paramount will have those latter two in the works soon.
Warner did a great job on the North By Northwest and Bullitt blu ray, so The Machine Time should be great!
And I look forward to seeing the Forbidden Planet blu ray on the new TV!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Blu-ray would be the obvious format to upgrade THE TIME MACHINE to but I fear the studio has no interest in upgrading this title. If anything, it will likely show up on MOD if they ever re-release it. Everything that isn't going to be on Blu-ray will get dumped into MOD from now on, unfortunately. Sign of the times.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Nelson Au said:
I like to think that the 1960 The Time Machine, 1953 War of The Worlds and 1951 When Worlds Collide would make the best trio of George Pal films to be released on blu ray. :) I hope Paramount will have those latter two in the works soon.
Warner did a great job on the North By Northwest and Bullitt blu ray, so The Machine Time should be great!
And I look forward to seeing the Forbidden Planet blu ray on the new TV!
When Worlds Collide is one I am really looking forward to Spielberg is producing a big budget remake with Stephen Sommers directing that's taking ages to start filming I should imagine that will be when we get the Bluray of the clasic but even though its only 1:37 AR the movie is still classic 1950's sci-fi & features John Hoyt (the Doctor from the Trek original cage episode pilot ) in a wheelchair as the crazed billionaire financier.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
What's MOD?
I hope the love for The Time Machine is great enough for Warners to move ahead with a blu ray! There's got to be!
Edit: oh, is that Movies On Demand where Warners will rip a DVD for you? I didn't know they would be doing that for blu ray.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Paul, good point about the remake coming that could inspire the release of the 1951 version on blu ray.
Somehow, I am dubious of a remake. I hate to sound negative. After seeing 2012, that to me felt like a remake of When Worlds Collide, and I fully expected spaceships at the end. So it was a surprise to see how it ended. So to remake WWC, I have to wonder how they approach it. Because we've seen the world end a lot! :)
Edit: I just realized the film is based on a 1933 novel, I've not read it, but I imagine that is the source material to draw from for a remake. And I know the 1951 film had a lot more ambitious goals with effects and so on, so a remake will no doubt be able to CGI the heck out of the original!

CDS SE Texas

Auditioning
Real Name
chris
Yep same age, I use to watch in once a year. When I lived in Germany it was a favorite there too!
Restored Blu Ray _ I hope to see it soon.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I started this thread a year ago today and still no Blu-ray nor news of a Blu-ray. :( Although, hopefully this means that Warner is planning on giving it a worthy release and not just slapping what's already on the DVD onto a Blu-ray disc, which I think they could've easily done by now. It seems that a lot of studios have put out plently of quick releases of catalogue movies on Blu-ray. Warner seems to do a lot of all-out super editions for older flicks, so maybe it's a good sign that we havent seen a quick Blu-ray already.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I would also love a Blu-ray. I watch this movie once a year around the Christmas holidays, and it's one of the best of its type.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Sorry I don't have any sexy pictures of Yvette.
1e6a1a31_TimeMachine1960-MGM-six.jpeg

beb34b9b_TimeMachine1960-MGM-one.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great poster art Richard! The art for science fiction film posters and paperback covers of that era of the late 50's and early 70's, before too much influence from 2001 and Star Wars is great stuff! If you ask me, it sparks the imagination more!
I'm sure someone will post an image of Yvette.:)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well while we wait, the good news is WB is bringing something else, Guess The Incredible Mr. Limpit is on its way to blu

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Nelson Au said:
Great poster art Richard! The art for science fiction film posters and paperback covers of that era of the late 50's and early 70's, before too much influence from 2001 and Star Wars is great stuff! If you ask me, it sparks the imagination more!
I'm sure someone will post an image of Yvette.:)
Yes, old sci-fi posters are an inspiration. Let's see if I can get it to come out bigger:
TimeMachine1960-MGM-six.jpg

six-sheet
TimeMachine1960-MGM-one.jpg

one-sheet
I have more George Pal posters, if anyone wants to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks