What's new

Is the THX calibrator really disc specific or standard? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have heard the THX calibrator on various THX DVDs is disc specific. However, testing it with several discs yields the exact same result for me. So, I'm thinking its actually a set standard.

Anyone know for certain?

greg_t

Screenwriter
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=THX+Optimizer

Check out this link. There is a post on the first page from Don Munsil of Secrets of Home Theater and HIFI fame that covers the THX optimizer. Here is a brief quote from the link posted in September 2003:

"Also, I can't say this enough - DO NOT use the THX Optimizer tests. They are incorrect, and thus worthless. Joe Kane has measured them on several different discs, and they were all different, and all wrong. It really would not surprise me if they had clipped off the below-black information on one of them. Spring for Sound & Vision Home Theater Set-up, or Digital Video Essentials, or Avia, and use correct patterns."

That about sums it up. Check out the link for more info.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

They were geared toward only the disc that they came on ... nothing more. Not a cheap replacement for a real test disc.

They might be better than nothing if nothing is all you got ... but maybe not. Go spend the $15 on a real disc.

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have been using Avia.

I was just checking my brightness setting and according to the THX calibrator, it is set a notch or so too high. However, I will trust Avia's setting.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
The THX Optimizers are ussually a few notches off, nothing huge. Bassically I just use it as a starting point and then mess with the settings to make them good to my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks