Is the THX calibrator really disc specific or standard?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dave H, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have heard the THX calibrator on various THX DVDs is disc specific. However, testing it with several discs yields the exact same result for me. So, I'm thinking its actually a set standard.

Anyone know for certain?

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=THX+Optimizer

Check out this link. There is a post on the first page from Don Munsil of Secrets of Home Theater and HIFI fame that covers the THX optimizer. Here is a brief quote from the link posted in September 2003:

"Also, I can't say this enough - DO NOT use the THX Optimizer tests. They are incorrect, and thus worthless. Joe Kane has measured them on several different discs, and they were all different, and all wrong. It really would not surprise me if they had clipped off the below-black information on one of them. Spring for Sound & Vision Home Theater Set-up, or Digital Video Essentials, or Avia, and use correct patterns."

That about sums it up. Check out the link for more info.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

They were geared toward only the disc that they came on ... nothing more. Not a cheap replacement for a real test disc.

They might be better than nothing if nothing is all you got ... but maybe not. Go spend the $15 on a real disc.

Regards

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I have been using Avia.

I was just checking my brightness setting and according to the THX calibrator, it is set a notch or so too high. However, I will trust Avia's setting.

5. ClaytonMG

ClaytonMG Stunt Coordinator

The THX Optimizers are ussually a few notches off, nothing huge. Bassically I just use it as a starting point and then mess with the settings to make them good to my eyes.