What's new

Is the SVS PB12 plus 2 worth it or should I stick with my M&K 350? (1 Viewer)

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I was real excited about the SVS PB12 plus 2 sub. Everything I read made me think that it was a signifigant upgrade over my M&K 350 THX. I love super low bass that fills up the room like a great movie theater. Now I'm in the final stages of designing my theater and it is coming together great. My M&K system is sounding great with my Outlaw 990/7125 combo. My sub is excellent but I think the SVS might be just a little better. Unfortunately the sub is so big that it would overlap with the screen material in the front of my room. My ceilings are very low and my room doesn't allow for much wiggle room as far as the placement of the sub. The only way I can go with the PB12 plus 2 would be to put it on it's side. I could have the drivers at the bottom face me and take the bottom plate off. This is what was reccomended by SVS Ron. The only problem with this is that the Amp would be visable and the grey drivers would be visable. I spent alot of time designing the room, I made sure that the whole front of the room was black. I could place it on the side and just leave the bottom plate on there so the drivers wouldn't be visable. I don't know if that is bad sonically. I could also have the drivers face the side wall in the front of the room so the drivers and the amp wouldn't be visable. Again, I don't know if this presents any sonic problems. I know alot of SVS buyers are on this board. Does anyone else have a similar problem? Does anyone know if facing the drivers forward with the bottom plate on would creat any acoustical problems? How about facing the drivers toward the side wall in the front of the room? Facing the drivers toward the side wall would be the best scenario because the drivers and the amp wouldn't be visable. At this point I was actually thinking of just sticking with the M&K.

John S

Senior HTF Member
If your happy with your current sub, I'd have to say no. Really tough call on that one.

I tried like heck to get a recent customer of mine to buy a dual 12" from SVS, he said he was going to, then he up and ordered a Velodyne instead. I think brand loyalty got in the way on that one.

Can't you more or less try out the SVS and return it if it isn't the improvement you wanted though? On that sort of deal, I don't see how you can go to wrong with giving it a shot.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
John, thanks for the input. I love my M&K sub but I have a feeling the SVS would blow me away. I was hoping to hear from somone that has tried to place this sub in an unconventional way. I know of the SVS gaurentee. I might just go ahead and order it and tinker with it. Then I can make an educated decision. It sounds like you have some experience with the PB-12 plus 2. What do you think about it? I know know if your familiar with the M&K 350. It is a THX sub with dual 12 inch drivers in push/pull configuration. It has a 350 watt amp that is it's biggest shortfall compared to the SVS. Looking at the #s the SVS seems to beat it in just about every way. I am really hoping I can find a way to put the SVS in my room in a way that it isn't a complete eyesore, and where it will still be good acoustically.

Brian, The cylinder subs would give me the same problem as far as height. My screen is on a wall that juts in. There is no room to the left and the right of the screen to put the cylinder.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
John:

Could you put the sub at the back of your HT? What about on a side wall?

The PB12 Plus 2 is a huge sub. Its performance is also huge. You are going to be totally blown away by its performance. Having said that have you thought about getting a smaller SV Sub and run it with your M&K at the same time?

Parker

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. Richard, The ultra is also to big to put in front of my screen. I might as well go with the plus 2 if I'm going to put it on it's side. Pete, I can't put the sub in the back of the room or the side. The only real option is putting it in the front of the room and laying it on the side. I'm really curious to see what the SVS can do. I wish I could hear from people who tried to do the same with there SVS. I think the best 2 options are laying it on the side with the drivers facing the seating area. The only question is whether or not to leave the bottom plate on the sub. If I take it off, the drivers will be visable. WHat do you guys think will be better sonically? I was also considering putting the sub on it's side so that the drivers are facing the side wall. This way the amp won't be visable.

jephdood

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
If it helps any, the Plus drivers are real purdy.. :D

If you're looking for complete darkness up front, though, Richard was suggesting laying a cylinder (or two) on its side up front.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The amplifier in your M&K is not the problem. The problem is the 10 db drop off from 44 Hz to 20Hz. The Plus 2 should meet your need handily.

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Arthur. I do think that the plus 2 must be very impressive indeed. I just hope I can figure a way to place it in my room. What do you think about facing the drivers forward with the bottom plate left on so the drivers won't be visable? That is looking like the best scenario.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks