1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is the SVS 25-31CS the best sub for $399 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Jul 28, 2001.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Is the SVS 25-31CS the best sub for $399 ?

2. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Stunt Coordinator

Maybe look at the new Adire Dharman (powered sub) for $510???? I'm waiting to hear a review that compares it to the SVS.
    Satch

3. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    If you have a decent amp or old stereo or Pro Logic receiver sitting around to power it I'd shure say it's in the running. Tom has run them up with only a $80 KLH receiver powering it up (with a signal coming from a Dolby Digital processor of course) and it rocked the house.
    You DO need an amp to drive it beyond your HT receiver though.
    If you don't have an amp then you would need to look at a sub like the Adire, the Hsu VTF-2 or a host of other $500ish subs. The least expensive self powered SVS is the 25-31PC at $675.
    Ron

4. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Right now I have a demo model of a Dharman and Mike Voight who lives near me has an SVS sub and we are going to try to get them in the same room in the next few Days.
    The List on The Dharman is $599 and Dan has offered a discount deal on them in another forum until Aug 17th. [​IMG]
    BTW I have heard an SVS and a Dual SVS sub set up in a rather large room and those things can really put out some bass. I have not heard an SVS in my Room where the Dharman is now so I can't give any sort of valid comparison.
    As for how the SVS sounds with Music which you asked in another thread....
    The first time I heard them with music I felt it was one of the better ones I ever heard. I think it was a model 20-39CS.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs

5. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Max,
    We're really looking forward to your impressions there!
    You might have an issue of apples and oranges to some degree where the same calibrations with typical test tones might not yield like setups (given different octave to octave frequency balance etc.) but it'll be very interesting no matter what.
    Be sure to let us know how it goes! The Adire has a very attractive price that's for sure.
    Ron

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer