Is the "Summer" Movie Season Becoming Too Saturated?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Pete-D, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

Not to berate the "big" movies; there's nothing like kicking back and heading to the movie theater after a hot summer day to see the new big-budget "epic", but anyone else having a tougher time keeping track of all the "big" movies coming out?

For starters, the "summer" movie season has basically been "extended" now into spring, as it seems like the big movie season now can start in April instead of the usual late May commencement.

It used to be there would be 5 or 6 really big movies each summer, but now it seems like there's a huge release every weekend.

Hellboy is April 2nd, which may not be a Matrix type hit ala 1999, but I think it'll do sizable business. On May 7th you have "Van Helsing" then on May 14th comes "Troy" and on May 21st you have "Shrek 2". Finally on May 28th there's "The Day After Tomorrow". That's insane. My pick is that "Troy" will reign in May.

Well maybe it's just the trend now. Movies seem to be getting even more top-loaded in terms of movie office aside from the occasional phenomenon like PotC or The Sixth Sense. Also I do wonder if audiences will ever say enough is enough. Some movies last year like Tomb Raider 2 (which is a better film than the first one) I think fell victim to a crowded marketplace of "big" movies.

Maybe with Harry Potter in the summer slot and no LoTR this Christmas, the fall season will be a bit more low key?

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

My problem is just that Hollywood is increasingly stuffing more projects into a smaller timeframe than one season. It's not that I think there are too many movie coming out this summer, but I couldn't help noticing that the majority of big movies that I'm going to see this summer are all coming out between April and May. The only two I can think of beyond that period that I might see are Spidey 2 and maybe Sky Captain. That's it.

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I think the problem is that every movie is expected to be a blockbuster, every film has to hit the proverbial home run. Studios aren't taking smaller $10 million productions and releasing them with the idea of making $20-30 million. There's no in between anymore. If it doesn't make $100 million at least, even if it costs 3 cents to make, then it's a flop. Not every movie should be an event picture, especially during the summer.

4. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

Sadly that's the "Jaws" phenomenon. Prior to 1975, the summer had been a pretty quiet season with lots of B-pictures. When Spielberg's "Jaws" became such a financial blockbuster, it convinced the studio suits that BIG bucks could be made in summer, hence the flood of really big budget pics. Sadly with the bigger budgets, the studio suits became desperate to earn their money back and so encouraged more formulaic, 'safer' films designed not for artistic excellence but to open big and remake their considerable investments. (especially sad since the original summer blockbusters were often very original and first-rate)

Happily, I'm seeing the trend reversing with the rise of independent films and their success. Many of my favorite films of the last five years were smaller budget films, that still managed to make a buck.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I don't mind the steady spaced-out scheduling that seems to be the norm nowadays. It's the studios' way of spreading the market share around.

6. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    look at last summer.. it was tough.. a new movie would be number 1 for only a week and then a new movie would be number 1.. I fear that is summer will have the same effect.. I think it would better if the studios let the movies have some breathing room to find the right audience. instead of cramming a new movie or movies each week day in and day out.

JACOB

7. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    Becoming too saturated? It is too saturated. Its been this way for years, I'm afraid.

8. Travis_S

Travis_S Supporting Actor

Travis
    It's time to start spreading the big movies around. The months of Jan-March are a waste, filled with crap. It's obvious that people will go to movies during that time frame (ex. Passion). So why not spread the wealth and release some good films in that period?

9. Rob Bartlett

Rob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I do think it's getting too top-heavy and I find waxing nostalgiac about "the good old days" to be repugnant, but I do see the film business getting more competitive. Which, doesn't really affect me, but I don't know how the studios can throw so much money on a project. I would be nice to see less science fiction/fantasy based pictures during the season, as variety is the spice of yadda yadda yadda yadda.But ultimately, I think it's the studios' problems, not mine. (well, except for tickets being raised)

10. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

the months of Jan and Feb do suck for movies, but movies like Passion, Titanic, and Star Wars rerelease prove the right movie can do big business.

Be Seeing You,
    David Blackwell

11. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Ah, the more the merrier. I'm looking forward to all the movies you mentioned, especially Troy and Hellboy. Van Helsing and Day After Tommorow are probably going to be matinees, if they get decent reviews.

I don't go see all the big movies. I still haven't seen either Tomb Raider, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Godzilla, Hulk (though I wanted to see it) and some others.

I'm an eternal optimist. I want all movies to be good, and I want there to be a lot of them, big and small.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Same here, all the most anticipated films come out in the spring. By the time summer actually gets here, there's nothing to look forward to at the movies.