Is the stock market giving anyone else heartburn?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I've seen snakes that undulate less than this thing. Down 100+ points for nearly 5 straight days? Up nearly 300 points in one day?

My kingdom for some stability and slow, deliberate, moderately paced, modest gains.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I pulled out of the stock market more than a year ago...I knew it was going to go down the toilet. I worked (past tense) in the wireless technology industry, and had a gut instinct about the whole stock market affair. Plus, I was aware (or I should say, guessed) of massive corruption practiced in the bigger U.S. corporations.

3. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

No its not giving me hearburn since it will go back up. If you take any 30 year period in the stock market over the past 100 years it has gone way up. Now if you take some smaller chunks of 3 years then yes it can seem drastic. Now this is also assuming that WW3 doesnt happen or something and we no longer have an economy.

KyleS

4. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

I remember the Dow hitting 1,000 in 1966 and it was down to 850 or so in 1982. The last two years have been a hiccup. I bet we see 20,000 on the Dow by 2010.

5. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I'm hoping biotech and health will pick up a bit, but with my luck, I'll miss the big comeback.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am not surprised that the Dow went up today (the 10th largest gain in history). Many were down on the market earlier in the week due to the fear of terrorism on July 4th. With all due respect and sympathy for the situation at LAX yesterday, there were no major incidents, thankfully.

8. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I'm invested in the stock market mainly through my 401K. Since I'm in it for the long-haul, I don't sweat the day-to-day fluctuations. In fact, the Dow can drop to 500 and it would be fine by me. That means my 401k contributions are buying a LOT more shares that will have the opportunity to appreciate over the next couple of decades.

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Best stock market advise ever given was by Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack. While on the golf links, he was on the phone to his broker and said: