Is The Spyder TV Calibration All That It Claims To Be?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by BenS, Feb 15, 2006.

1. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

I have just recently been seeing advertisements about this product. What are the advantages to it and the disadvantages? I have adjusted my tv with the video essentials dvd will this product allow me to delve deeper into the settings and produce a better picture overall? I just want to know if it is worth the money or am I better off saving the money and having my tv proffensionally calibrated? I know there are a lot of question's but I have not seen any info on this product from actual users that I respect. By the way I have a 51" Sony rear projection tv.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The spydertv is a replacement for the test discs you already have. In fact ... the package is designed to do more or less what you just did with your test disc.

The spydertv helps you to determine the best user settings for

Brightness
    Contrast
    Color
    Tint
    Color TEmp selection

There is an easter egg in the program that actually provides a very basic color analyzer for doing the grayscale yourself.

The product actually works ... but a professional calibration will still give you better results and take away all the guesswork.

Regards

3. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

Does the Spyder do this set up automatically or is it manual how does the setup actually work?

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It has you run its own test disc patterns in your DVD player while the Spyder program runs in the laptop using the sensor.

You tell it what the range is for brightness ... (0 to 63 say) and the other settings.

With the pattern on the screen ... it gets you to increase and decrease an item ... like brightness and it eventually settles on some sweet spot. Ususally take about 5 readings per parameter. Then it says ... use ... 35/63 as the best setting for brightness ...

There is a walkthrough video with some guy doing it on screen first ...

regards