Is the specially priced RP91 worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shana, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I have yet to purchase a DVD player but have done quite a bit of research. I have an HDTV-ready Samsung and Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver. I'm still confused when it comes to Dolby decoders, etc. If the receiver has that feature, does the DVD player need to have it?
    The RP91 is appealing to me, but I am wondering if the extra $$ is needed or a waste.
    Please help me understand this. [​IMG]

2. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

Hi Shana,
    Built in DD and DTS decoders on DVD players are only necessary if your receiver does not decode them already, and the receiver has the necessary 6 analog audio inputs on the back to allow for the connection. It sounds like your receiver already has DD and DTS decoding, so this shouldn't be a concern.
    [Removed the DVD-Audio statement as per the reply below]
    The RP-91 is 2001 technology that has an older deinterlacer chip for progressive scanning. The chip in the RP-82 has superceeded it and made a noticable improvement. The unit has turned out to be a great value for its price ($230 MSRP but can be found for less). DVD players with similar deinterlacing performance are generally higher priced, such as the Denon 1600 ($549 MSRP) or the high-end Denon 9000 ($3500 MSRP). Both of these units have better build quality than the Panasonic (although the RP-82 is well constructed for its price). If your new HDTV is widescreen, you may want to be able to scale 4:3 material (particularly letterboxed movies). The RP-82 is unable to do this, but the RP-91 can. I'm not sure if the Denon models have this capability, but I imagine they would. You can read reviews for the Denon units here and here. As for the RP-82, check the postings in this A/V Sources forum; most of them are very favorable.
    Regards,
    Ryan

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

4. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson Stunt Coordinator

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    At this late date, it might be worthwhile waiting for the Philips 963sa to see if that's the real deal coming soon. It's supposed to have the excellent deinterlacing of the Panny RP82 combined w/ excellent scaling quality. It's got almost everything one could ask for in its price range, which will probably be comparable to the RP91 if current European pricing is a good indication. However, it does SACD, instead of DVD-A, if that matters to you.

I'm waiting myself. OTOH, I do already have a player to hold me over albeit just an old, interlaced Toshiba.

_Man_

6. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Wait for CES, which is just around the corner.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The RP-91's scaling capability is a wonderful feature if you own a widescreen HD-ready set. However, if you also have a lot a video-based material, be aware that the RP-91 is rather weak in playing back this type of material.

The video-based playback performance of the RP-91 never bothered me until recently. However, I have begun to add some TV series to my collection, and the RP-91 has been rather disappointing with this material. The picture quality for film-based material is stunning, though.

Hopefully someone will come out with a player combining the de-interlacing performance of the RP-82 with the scaling abilities of the RP-91 at a reasonable price. If such a player also had DVD-Audio support, I would upgrade.

8. Jose T

Jose T Stunt Coordinator

The rp-91 is top notch unit if you can getit a that price. Yes, it can play DVD-A and scaling capabilites is nice feature. Bulit quality is superior but I will agree with the chip being used by Panny not be Fajoruda. Not sure why they didn't use it in this model but did so in the RP-56. Suggest you check one out or wait the latest models coming from Pannasonic shortly. ONECALL.com has them or bestpriceaudiovideo.com for comparison.

9. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies!
    I don't have a widescreen TV so I guess the scaling thing won't matter (I really don't know what all that's about anyway.)
    I'm assuming the video-based material you spoke of is video tapes that have been put on DVDs?
    Since my receiver will already decode I'm thinking I should save the money and put towards speakers that I have yet to buy. I will be back in my house this month (yea!! )[​IMG] and will be ready to purchase those as well. I have also done quite a bit of research on speakers and don't know if I want to buy a package or go for individuals. I would like to stay somewhere around $500.
    Also, what are your thoughts on buying extended warranties on DVD players and speakers and such?
    Thanksssssssssss,
    Shana

10. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor