What's new

Is the Sony Wega the only brand that offers... (1 Viewer)

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a new 32" TV (that's largest that will fit in my entertainment center) and I would like to know if the Sony brand is the only one that offers the 16:9 enhanced mode?

Also, if I wanted to go without the flat screens or the 16:9 mode, which 32" TV models have the better quality and reliability? I'm willing to spend no more than $900.

Thanks!!

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
It seems that many do support the vertical squeeze, although most of them require service menu tweaks (not exactly on the fly). I'm sure others will fill in model numbers for you.

Tony Mc

Stunt Coordinator
I should be more specific on the type of 32" TV. I'm interested in analog only, not HDTV. Pertaining to my question on other TV brands that offer the 16:9 enhanced mode besides the Sony Wega.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Samsung TSL series. I have the 3924hf. I was able to pick it up for less then half of the XBR450 price and that included delivery. I can not tell you how happy I am with this set. Even my SAT reception looks excellent. The DVD thru either regular or prgressive scan with the 16:9 mode (simple press of a button on the remote) is simply stunning. I can not speak of this set highly enough. Altho the XBR may be a bit better or rated better, it is NO WHERE near worth 2xs the price. IF you get a chance, check out the Samsung and when you lok at it in the store, drop the contrast to about 35-40, brightness down to 50, sharpness down to 25 or so and color around 50. You will be pleasently surprised with the set! Even my friends can not believe how good it looks.

I just realized you have a $900 budget, that will only get you a bottom of the barrel WEGA, not the XBR. The Samsung is an HDTV. I was able to get mine directly from Samsung delivered for $910, this is around the same price as the chepest of the WEGA's. Drop me an email and I will hook you up with my Samsung connection and hopefully she will have 1 in stock for you.

Brad_V

Second Unit
You first posted that you might not need 16:9 mode or flat screen, so then the JVC 32AV320 (230?) becomes a possibility. Looks great, and goes on sale for $500.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshiba and the Pansonic do it also. If you go to the onecall site and look at the direct view HDTV ready category, many of the sets are listed an whether or not they do the squeeze mode. I found that this was a good way to quickly compare these sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks