is the Sony STR-DE1075 a good deal ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil_Lunar, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator

a friend of mine is about to bought a receiver, and he has spotted a Sony STR-DE1075. he can get it for 450$ CDN(300US$)

seem to me like a good deal to me, but I am not to sure about sony receiver, especialy in tthe low end branch.

so I wonder if it is a good deal for this price(in Canada)

I was about to suggest him a Kenwood VR-6060(599$CDN here)

but it seem to be a bit out of his finantial range so I wonder if he VR-6050(450$, in is range) is still a good choice?

any other choice?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I had a couple of the DE Sony's, and would never go back to them now that I have HK in the house - low end HK at that. He'll likely be happy for a while, though.

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Despite what you'll read around here, the 1075 is decent for the price you've quoted.

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The DE series is to be avoided. They have weak powersupplies and are a bomb waiting to go off.

The kenwood isn't great either.

I'm assuming he is shopping at best buy? If so I'd consider a H/K receiver from Onecall before I'd touch the Kenwood and Sony DE.

The ES series stuff is however just great. Only a couple hundred more dollars and you do get what you pay for.

5. Babek

Babek Stunt Coordinator

I've owned the de1075 until at last i sold it last week and bought an integra.

The sony did the job for sure, but i wanted higher sound quality so i sold it and spend quite a bit more.
    In my opinion, sony kenwood jvc etc etc.... all the sound (except for the special es and soverieng models)
    receivers that have good sound quality are onkyo/integra, Harman kardon(maybe), denon, and marantz