What's new

Is the Sony DA5ES really ungradable? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
I've heard rumors that the Sony DA5ES is "upgradeable" is this true? What is upgradable about it? Can you upgrade new surround formats into it? It seems like a great idea but it doesn't sound like Sony is the sort of company who will back up their products by upgrading receivers with new formats. I mean I'm still not 100% sure if Sony uses true Dolby Digital EX decoding with the DA5ES or if it uses Sony's own non-Dolby version.

Thanks...

James

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
I'm sure when it's said to be upgradeable, it's any software changes that can be made via the RS-232 port. I own the 777ES and I've upgraded the firmware several times.

When Sony introduced 6.1 matrix, they released the code on a cd, and created a new remote to control the new soundfield.

Upgrading the firmware also fixed a few known glitches with the unit as well.

Chuck

JackS

Supporting Actor
Yes. Formats, fixes and probably improvements to existing firmware are possible via the r232 port. As Chuck said, Sony has supported upgradibility in the past so I would assume they will with the DA5. Don't expect a notice to come in the mail however, Stay tuned to forums such as this or possibly the Sony site. Not sure what could be comming along in the future as far as upgrades, but I will predict that at least one upgrade will be made available within the next couple of years simply because it can be done, and it is after all a selling point.

MiltK

Stunt Coordinator
There are some people on this board that seem to think upgradeability is the sole domain of their expensive flagship receivers. At least that's what salesmen tell them.;)
It will be great marketing move by Sony to continue upgradeability and fixes via the RS232 port for their affordable mid-level receivers like the DA5ES. If anything, it's a great and inexpensive way to fix bugs just like they did for the 777ES and TA-9000ES.

james e m

Second Unit
Ok cool, thanks for the info guys. So, say if dts comes out with some new surround format I can assume that Sony may offer it as a firmware upgrade?

Milt,

As far as the upgrade option, that's just icing on the cake when it comes to the DA5ES.

Thanks,

James

Users who are viewing this thread