Is the Sims really the best selling game ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Say it ain't so...

I've seen this claim made before, but can't seem to find any actual sales numbers to back up the claim. Additionally, would the figures that they use to track the sales of a game include expansion packs? Just looking for some hard information here-I'd just like to find some reassurance that a better game still holds the top spot...

Anyone know where the data can be found? I'm sure someone has to keep track...

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

The Sims is the best selling PC game of all time. Finally something knocked Myst off the top spot.

In my dreams I dream that Doom III comes out and crushes them all, then I wake up in a puddle.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's certainly the best selling PC game in Europe.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'm glad it's the Sims, and not Myst or one of those cheap ass hunting games. How can you not love a game where you can create little people to torture? [​IMG]
    -Dave

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
  6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Not surprising, and I completely believe it's true given how long it held the top spot. While we like to believe that us serious gamers rule the industry, the truth is that any game hoping to be the best seller of all time (or any time) needs to have a large non-gamer appeal.

The Sims certainly has that. Whatever you may think of it (I personally don't mind it, but I do prefer other games much more), it appeals to a wide range of people. I know a large number of female friends who love it and they would never ever play a videogame to save their lives, my girlfriend included.

So, yes, it's easily the best seller of all time. Much as you might sooner get beaten with reeds than play Myst, the masses loooooved that game.

7. PouyaG

PouyaG Agent

As someone mentioned, it is the best selling PC game ever, but not even close to Mario 3 on the NES.