Is The Simpsons Season 2 in region 2/4 censored?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Ke, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

At DVD Rewind - http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...omparisons.php - The region 2 version of The Simpsons Season 2 box set is apparently censored by 15 seconds on the episode 'Simpsons and Delilah'. I was planning on buying the region 4 set, which is likely the same as the r2 (and rated PG) - but if it is censored I will reconsider. Does anyone know if this is true?
    DVD REWIND:
    Cuts
    R1 - No cuts
    R2 - 15 seconds of sexual references have been cut from the episode 'Simpsons And Delilah' in order to meet PG-certificate guidelines

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

The cut is only in the team's commentary, so technically the episode itself is uncut.

While it is a disappointment that even the commentary is cut, at least the episode itself is intact. The commentary cut is not that noticeable as they often fade out for a few seconds on most of the commentaries. I certainly wouldn't have known unless I was told before hand.

I suppose your action depends on how strong you feel about censorship - but I'm willing to live with my R2 copy.

3. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

FOX often use European rather than UK masters for the R4 DVDs. However, this is hardly something to get into a sweat over. In any event, the R1 version is cheaper than both the R2 or R4 versions.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Would that be the gag about Harvey Fierstein complaining that the headboard of his bed in his hotel room the show's producers put him up in had blatant signs of certain *ahem* stains? [​IMG] That bit is hilarious.
    Dan

5. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Hi,
    I'd also like to point out that R2 is not just the UK, and e.g. the German set is uncensored. Nitpicky, I know. [​IMG]
    Chris