Is The Simpsons becoming Family Guy?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jason Adams, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    Has anyone noticed this? I think that The Simpsons humor is getting that souless, do anything for a laugh feel that Family Guy has. Not that I dont like Family Guy, I love it.

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Not really. I think that the baking episode this season was very South Park-y, but I wouldn't compare these episodes to Family Guy.

3. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

Even during the worst episodes, ("Large Marge" and "Jaws Wired Shut" come to mind) "The Simpsons" has never even approached "Family Guy"-level crappiness.

4. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

You mean, inane, silly and sick humor or really crappy writing? I think Family Guy actually took the humor Simpsons had and just spawned off from that and made it's own. I love both shows to death, but Simpsons is just perfect in my opinion.

Ryan

5. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams

Hm, not even when they are copying story ideas like Homer playing Death?

6. Jason Adams

Roger Jason Adams

All of each. Homer getting raped by a panda is a very Family Guy thing. They wouldn't have something like that in the earlier seasons. The Simpsons refuses to go out gracefully.

7. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Times have changed... They are just trying to get a different audience, but I still feel the magic is still there for the Simpsons. It is ok to laugh at Homer in the panda suit, you point out that Homer is raped, but the whole plot of that show is so classic Simpsons and just incredibly funny. They are just going for an occasionally outrageous set-up.

Ryan

8. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
    I see a few similarities between Simpsons and Family Guy (ie. the aforementioned "Panda" incident), but I'd have to say they're still different beasts.

On a sidenote, is it just me or is the writing so far this season absolutely suck? It doesn't even feel like The Simpsons this year. I'll give it a few more episodes, but at this rate, I really hope this is the last season!

9. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Then you'll be saddened to hear that they're renewed for 3 more.

10. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I'll keep watching but my taping days are long gone. The last episode that I would say I loved was the Season 11 opener.

11. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

We watch The Simpsons every week and there are still plenty of episodes that do not suck, along with several per season that truly do. That said, in my perfect alternative universe The Simpsons would have ceased production about the time Futurama was shut down and we'd still be getting 22 per season of the funniest animated show ever.

I still get a little teary-eyed any time I hear someone say "Good News, Everyone!" but I guess we'll always have the DVD's.

12. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    Amen to Futurama! Easily the most cleverly written animated series. I'm just glad all the episodes made it to DVD.

13. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Probably not just you. It seems most of the Simpsons-related posts the last few years are from people saying how bad the show now is (but continue to watch, apparently).

All a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

14. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould
    I guess I should clarify my view a bit: when I say it sucks, it does so in comparison to previous seasons. It's still better than most of the shows on TV right now.

I'll still keep watching it though, but only because I can record it while watching other things during that time.

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Once The Simpsons hit about the tenth season, the show fell apart. That's a damn good track record though. For a couple of years after season ten, it was bad compared to old episodes. Now it's just awful compared to anything. I've watched every new episode for the entire run of the show. Only because of that habit, I'll continue to watch but it pains me to see the sad ruins of a once great show. It seems like most episodes are just copied from other episodes (at least certain jokes are re-used or expanded).

And in all fairness, no one but me makes me watch the new episodes. I'm glad a good number of people still like the show though but, to me, it's nothing like it was.

16. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

You said it, bud. I would not really consider myself partial, since I have no actual connection to the show, but I feel that the show is back on track, and funny as ever. Anyone see the Playdude episode?

Ryan

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I have to admit that there was a good line in that episode when James Caan is leaving with Mrs. Krabappel and he says "Some men like a challenage... I don't."

I guess that's why I keep tuning in (even if I don't enjoy it as much as before).

18. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

The DVD sets should be proof to those who deny a quality loss that there is indeed one...but I still find myself entertained by the show. I'll buy every season as it's released on DVD, and I'll continue to watch. But as long as you're not expecting to see something up there with "Rosebud," "Cape Feare," "Marge vs. the Monorail," etc., you won't be disappointed.

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

How? There are only five seasons out so far.

20. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

But the last two are infinitely better than the episodes that premiere these days.