Is 'The Shape of Punk To Come' the best & most important hard rock album of the 90's?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vince Maskeeper, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I believe "The Shape Of Punk To Come" by Refused, taken as an entire album- a single "work" if you will, is the Best, and at the same time the most important/influential hard rock album released between 1990 and 2000.

[​IMG]

And I extend this question in all seriousness. I'm not looking for people to post a 2 line opinion of the best Hard Rock album of the 90's, specifically if you have never heard TSOPTC-- rather I'm wondering if there is anyone other there (who has actually listened to this album) and could think of a debatable "better" and/or more potentially influential albums for the genre of hard rock music.

I could see a debate that Pearl Jam's Ten (if you could even call it hard rock) could be considered "more influential" in terms of bands that have come along sounding similar-- however i think most people a keen ear for music would agree that just because a band's singer may cop the Vedder-ism delivery, it doesnt necessarily mean their band would be "pearl jam-esque". Musicially speaking I don't hear many bands really borrowing from the PJ 70's fueled minimalistic rock in as many albums as one might assume.

So- again- I'm wondering if anyone who has listened to and digested the Refused album could find an argument against it being the strongest shot fired in the genre for the decade.

-vince

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

it is certainly one hell of an album, I'll give you that

"best & most important hard rock album of the 90's?"

not too sure about that

just as many would argue, but I don't know if I would agree, that "Loveless" (MBV) is the "best & most important rock album of the 90's"

but then again I can't think of anything better and more important than both of these right now [​IMG]

3. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

Can you post some links of samples to listen to?

I've never heard them, but if they are punk, I don't see how you can say this album is the most influential since we didn't have a huge wave of punk in the 90's. We had a huge wave of Pearl Jam/Nirvana rip-offs for the most part, so that lends credibility to Ten or Nevermind as the most influential.

4. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

this is not a record meant to be listened to in snippet form

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I can't think of many true "punk" albums released in the 90's-- but to call refused a "punk" band simply based upon the title is a bit difficult. They are, more specifically hard rock- the title being a play on "the shape of Jazz to Come" by Ornette Coleman. It's a brash statement, sort of tongue in cheek, about the shape of "punk rock" as an artform, and about music as an artform as well (as oppose to product).

6. Iver

Iver Second Unit

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

It's so difficult to nail down influences that I think this whole thing is kinda' moot. Take any given song and play it for 20 people and it may remind them of 20 different bands. This is especially true when you get into the punk and hard rock genres, because there are so many fringe bands that had a lot of influence. For instance, when I hear the modern radio pseudo-punk, it reminds me more of the post-punk era where suddenly the punk ethos and love songs were strangely amalgamated. I'm talking about bands like Descendents, ALL, Lagwagon, etc. In fact, I would venture that DESCENDENTS and BLACK FLAG are probably the two biggest influences from that genre that you can hear in modern radio punk. Now, if you had to nail me down to what band from the late 80's/early 90's had the most influence on modern punk/alt/hard rock, I have to say THE PIXIES hands down.

As far as that Refused disc goes, they just come off a lot like a less hip Mr. T Experience to me. Don't get me wrong... I'm not downing the album at all. It's interesting enough but as far as most influential goes, I don't hear it. Maybe that's just me though.

Good call on Faith No More's Angel Dust, Vince. In my opinion, the sound they had on that album has crept into a lot more modern rock than most realize.

But here's today's very opinionated statement that will likely cause an argument:
    THE BAND THAT HAS INFLUENCED MORE PUNK/HARD ROCK/SKACORE BANDS THAN ANY OTHER IS... FISHBONE. [​IMG]