What's new

Is the RXZ1 worth the extra money over say 1400 or 2400? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I am upgrading my receiver on saturday.... maybe. The thing is I can afford the 1400 right now. I could buy it on saturday and be happy. BUT...... I realized if I wait till april I could afford the RXZ1. Yamaha's 2nd to top of the line, the Z9 is like $4500. Now the major thing that is drawing me to this is the burr-brown dacs. I know this isnt a huge deal to some people but it is to me. The RXZ1 is only 20 watts more than the 1400 but will I notice? Are there any other major features that I should think about? Anyone own one?

Also I would love to have that remote. I dont know... do you guys think its worth waiting? Maybe my boss will let me get the 1400 now, and in 3 months return it for the Z1. Hmmmm.... :-D. Well regardless I think Im gonna try them both out, see if I can tell a difference.

J. Redcay

Agent
Hi:

I own the RX-Z1 and the DSP A-1 Yamaha's. They are both fine
performers. The Z1 is a clean sounding, dynamic performing
receiver (at least with my speakers) and am sure you would be
pleased with it. Although I will be upgrading to the Z9 it
won't be because of power as 20-40 watts, would more than likely go unnoticed by most folks. The one feature that I
really don't like about the Z1 is the remote! One of the features you appear to really want. I have found the remote
somewhat difficult to see (it is backlighted) and somewhat
difficult to use with the touch control, but then I'm pretty
old and probably just too uncoordinated for that sort of stuff. One thing that I truly have found with the Yamaha's..
they stand up and perform without much complaining and for me
have been completely trouble free. There are so many good performers out there you really won't go wrong with any of them......especially the Yamaha's.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well thanks for the input. But it seems like when I get my RXV-440 to a reasonably loud volume level it sounds like its straining. Maybe thats because I need a sub, and all my bass is going to my mains, but a bigger reciever cant hurt.

J. Redcay

Agent
I had used Boston VR 970's with my DSP A1 in a 5000 cubic foot
room and never had a problem filling it with great sound. The
970's did have their own subs in the enclosures, don't know about the 950's. A sub is pretty much mandatory for any home
theater movie listening. Almost any HT receiver with 80 to
120 WPC should be able to fill a large room with reference sound without straining. Believe the DSP A1 is about 110 WPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks