Is the Rug Doctor any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Thinking of renting one of these for cleaning....

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

We've used them before. I don't really know if they're good... they seemed to get our carpet clean. But can you really ever be sure your carpet is clean? I think most of us would switch to hardwood floors if we could see the filth lurking in our carpets...

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I think they're similar to the units that Home Depot rents out. Those work very well if you believe that the filthy water you dump out is the only dirt that's in your carpeting. As Ryan mentioned, I'm happy I've got hardwood floors. [​IMG]

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

My girl is sweating me to rent one also, I'm curious about it's performance also.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It gets it noticeably cleaner. Our white carpet gets much brighter after each use. I know it's no where near a professional cleaner but it works. And should be done

It is a pain to use though, the water reservoir is small. May take up to 3-4 refills to do one room, and that's never fun.

6. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

The ones I've rented from Home Depot hold 3.5 gallons of solution in the reservoir. I only had to empty it and fill it up 3 times when I was doing my friend's condo. By the way, the upholstery attachment that comes free with the rental does an excellent job cleaning the furniture.

7. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    What about buying a carpet cleaner? Are they any good or is it better to rent the "rug doctor"?

8. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

What about buying a carpet cleaner? Are they any good or is it better to rent the "rug doctor"?
    Work it out on paper. If you have kids or pets, or you're excessivly messy, a personal unit can become indespensible. We just recently plunked down the cash for a Hoover and it is amazing how much crap comes out of the carpet. You can do your carpets as often as you feel necessary. Take the price of renting the rug doctor 2x a year and figure out how long it takes for you to own a machine. You will be suprised how quickly the machine pays for itself. Another way to bring the cost down is to do what I did and partnered with my mother-in-law. We get to keep the machine at our house because we use it more. She was happy paying half so long as she can use it in spring and fall. Hell, for that deal, I offered to do her carpets for her [​IMG] The hoover is not back-breaking at all...works like a regular vacuum!
    Don't rule out buying over renting.

9. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Hoover Steam vac 2 1/2 years ago and can't tell you how awesome it is. My living room and dining room have a extremely light beige(almost white) that gets dirty all the time. I usually steam the rugs every two months in the high traffic areas. I just did my rugs on Saturday night and the first thing each member of family said as they enter the room is how good it looks. Yes, the water reservoir is small but everything cant be perfect. I was paying $200 for a professional service to do my whole house. This machine has saved me lots of money.

I also take out my cars mats and clean then with the Steam Vac. The first time I did it that water was so dirty I though it was mud.

If you don't care about spending the extra time to do the labor I would highly recommend getting one.

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I don't even own a vacuum [​IMG]

11. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter