What's new

Is the Rotel RMB-1075 overkill for my setup? (1 Viewer)

Neal_C

Second Unit
I picked up the RMB-1066 on Saturday from my local store. Bridged it to operate in 3 channel mode and hooked up my center and mains to it. This was my first move into seperate amplification and it made a world of difference over my Pioneer Elite 35tx receiver.
However, I am having some problems getting the signal sensing mechanism to function all the time. So I went back to my local dealer and said if he could save me the sales tax on the 1075, I think I would like to upgrade so I could get an amp for all 5 channels. He made the deal and it is on its way.
My speakers: Def Tech BP6 mains, Pro Center 100, and BP2X surrounds. Is the 1075 overkill for these speakers?
If not, then should I use it to power my mains, center, and surrounds? or since I'm only using an old receiver to power my SVS 20-39cs, should I use the 1075 to power my mains and center and use one channel to power the sub and let my receiver continue to handle the surrounds?? Or should I try to talk the wife into the 1075 AND a Sampson amp from SVS?
Thanks,

Neal

Brian R

Stunt Coordinator
The last option is certainly the best. However, if you can't talk your wife into it, I would try it both ways and see what gives you better performance. I would probably use the 1075 to power the Def Techs and keep using the receiver to power the sub. I used an old receiver to power my 20-32cs for several months before I bought a used amp to power it. I really didn't notice a huge difference between the two.

I assume by "local store", you mean the only the Rotel dealer in Fort Worth. If so, which salesman do you normally work with?

Neal_C

Second Unit
Brian,

Hmmm, only Rotel dealer in Ft. Worth? Actually, I bought mine in Southlake (if that narrows it down for you at all..they have a Southlake store, an Arlington store and a Dallas store).
What amp did you end up getting for your 20-39cs?
Actually, even using the Rotel 1066 until the 1075 comes in, my bass has really opened up. I guess the quality amplification going to my def techs has allowed them to perform much better in the mid bass area that I was missing. Can't wait to get the 1075 in and see the difference.

Thanks for your reply,

Neal

Brian R

Stunt Coordinator
Neal,

I forgot they had a store in Southlake. :b

I found a very cheap Carver TFM6cb, I think it's 65 watts per channel, bridged its something like 180 watts. The biggest improvement its made over the receiver, is the receiver would occasional go into protect mode. The Carver has 2 "headroom exhausted" lights that will from time to time flicker, but its never had any problems driving the sub to more than adequate levels.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I guess I will look for something on the used market or try to get a b-stock Samson from SVS.
I'm hoping the slow truck from Houston brings my amp tomorrow so my wife can pick it up from the warehouse and return the one we have right now. I'm anxious to throw it into the mix and have some listening fun.

Neal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks