What's new

Is the Rotel 1095 the best HT amp out there for under $2k? (1 Viewer)

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Don't forget ATI amplifiers in this bunch. These are definetly a top contender even at the over $2k price point. There are ATI 1505 5 channel amps on Audiogon right now selling for under a grand($1700 new).

FrankB

Agent
I'll add a second vote for Anthem. I just got an MCA 30 (3 channel) amp. $1200. You can probably still get the older MCA 3 or MCA 5 also ($900 for the MCA 3).
www.sonicfrontiers.com/frames/mcafr.html
I use the MCA 30 to drive left/right main and rear center and my reciever for front center and left/right surround. I don't know how much power your Marantz has, but this works well for me. I run my left/right main speakers as "large", so they needed the extra power the most.
No need for a power conditioner, I can unplug the amp from the wall and it just keeps playing for quite a few seconds. It has lots of power supply filtering internally. I did have to plug the Anthem amp and my 400 watt subwoofer into a different outlet with a 20 amp breaker. The 15 amp circuit that powers everything else couldn't take the full load from from these and the reciever (500watts), another 150watt amp and all the other stuff (TV,DVD,lights,etc).

Sankar

Second Unit
I second the vote for the ATI amps. They are built like tanks and come with a 7 year no questions asked transferable warranty. Unlike some other manufacturers who only provide warranty to the first buyer, ATI just goes by the serial number (no need for a receipt). Used AT1505's can be had with 3 or more years of warranty for under $1000. Alternately, the AT1506 (6 channel) and AT1504 (4 channel) amps can be bridged to yield 3+2 = 5 channels providing a whopping 450W each. As used units these can be had for under 2K total. I saw a 6 month old AT1506 yesterday on ebay with a Buy-it-now price of $1225 (no this is not my amp, and I do not know the seller or any such thing). I have also seen the AT2505 (250Wx5) showing up every so often on Audiogon and ebay.
I have an AT1504 (paid $740 delivered) powering my front mains in bridged mode (450Wx2) and an AT1505 (paid $850 delivered) powering the center, side and rear surrounds (150Wx5). I bought them used and contacted ATI with serial numbers before the purchase. On both occassions I got a reply from Mike Pontelle himself confirming warranty etc (around 3-4 years on each). At one point, the AT1504's power led flickered erratically -- within 4 hours of the first email I had exchanged 2 addl emails with ATI where they offered to fix it if I sent it in (1-way shipping), or to send me a new switch with explicit instructions on how to replace it (they just accepted my email where I indicated the serial # as sufficient proof that the unit is under warranty!). I thus got an opportunity to open the front panel -- looks like the unit is built to withstand entry from outer space! (The construction is also very modular and replacing the switch was a cinch.) My personal experience with these guys has been stellar and I think that any ATI owner will concur that these are excellently built amps backed by an excellent company that does nothing else (check out audioreview.com). The units run for extended periods at high output without breaking into a sweat .. check them out ..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks