Is the Rotel 1095 the best HT amp out there for under $2k?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottH, Jan 31, 2002.

1. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I am really looking into going to separates for my Home Theater only setup. I don't really know if I should get a 5 channel amp (like the Rotel) and power everything with that, or get a 3 channel amp (like the Stratos) and power the rears with my Marantz SR-8000.

I'm really a newbie at this whole "separates" thing and was wondering what kind of electrical power I need to run one of these big amps. Can I just plug it into my power strip? Or do I need some kind of dedicated line conditioner?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

As ThomasW pointed out to me a little while ago, there are some incredible deals to be had on Audiogon for some truely top notch amps. For example:
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...600&class&3&4&
    $2300 for an Aragon 8008x5. This amps is 200Wx5 at 8ohms, 400Wx5 at 4ohms and 800Wx5 at 2ohms. And is stable at 2ohms as well. If you can move up the $300 and the cost of shipping this 107pound amp to where you are it will be one you can keep for a long long time. Then later if you decide you need more you should be able to find a 2ch or 3ch version of the 8008.

3. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I don't kow what the best amp is, because I haven't heard every amp under 2K. I've listened to four amps in the 2K and under range. To me the best ones were the Rotel 1095 and the Parasound 2205AT. Rotel doesn't allow internet sales, so you may be at the will of the dealer when it comes to prices. Parasounds are sold online and I've seen them for as little as $1600. To my ears both the Parasound and the Rotel sounded very much the same. I really believe it won't matter which one these two you pick. Both are THX Ultra amps so they will handle low impedence loads. The Rotel is 200x5 and the Parasound is 220x5. I got a great dealer from my dealer and went with the Rotel and wouldn't trade for anything in the 2K range. I listened to two other amps in the $2500 range and the Parasound and the Rotel were just as good so I figured why pay more. Also the Rotel and Parasound matched my speaker well. The other amps weren't as good a match so that did sway my opinion. I'm a bit biased towards the Rotel because it's been such a great amp. My speakers sound better than they ever have. If I had to do it all over again would I by the Rotel? Yes, Yes, Yes. Do I think it would be a mistake to get the Parasound? Nope. What can I say. I like them both.

4. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    I really like the Rotel because besides the great sound it never appears to break a sweat, meaning it runs very cool adding to its longevity and that of the other components in proximity to it

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I hear The Sherbourn 5/1500A is nicer.

6. Legairre

Scott,

One other thing you may want to think about. No matter which amp you buy is the dealers return policy. Several of the dealers I went to had a "store credit only" return policy. I got a great deal and the dealer has a "30 day full refund return policy". I don't know about you guys, but this is a lot of money to me. And the only real demo for me is at home. I can never seem to get a good demo in the store. Well maybe with speakers I can, but not with amps and pre/pros. Just one more thing to think about just in case your not happy with any amp matched with you gear.

7. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

My vote would be the Parasound 2205A. It is truly a wonderful amp that the best compliment I can give is that it generally does nothing wrong. Effortless power and rich sound. Don't discount the fact it also weighs over 90lbs and is 19" deep[​IMG] YMMV, and be sure to listen with YOUR speakers and of course your room.
    James Elvick

8. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I paid $1700 brand new for my Rotel RMB-1095 from my local dealer. They had a 7 day return policy. I love my 1095, it's the rock solid foundation of my system.

Bruce

9. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

I've owned the Sherbourn 5/1500 for about a year now and I whole heartedly endorse it. A fantastic amp at a great price. $1500. To me sounded every bit as good as the B&K 5-channel my local dealer was selling for $2800 and the Sherbourn is a true 5 mono-block design.

To me it's the best to be had in this price range.

10. Legairre

Scott,
    You can always go to ecoustic.com and check out some reviews. That way you can get an idea of which amps you want to demo. There's reviews of Parasound, Rotel, Sherbourn, B&K and many others. Here's a link.
    http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_A...Multi_Channel/

11. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

ScottH,

I'll put my vote for Rotel. Though I was not able to afford one of the larger units I did pickup the 1066. It puts out 60x6 down to 150x3. Currently I run it at 70x5 and this baby hums along even at the toughest of times. I was watching SPR DTS at 0 on my Marantz Av560U. During the actions scenes this puppy was pumping out audio nervana without breaking a sweat. If the lower end 1066 can perform like this I can on imagine what the upper end models can do.

Kevin

12. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Okay, you've all convinced me...I definitely want to test drive the Rotel, Parasound and Sherbourn. Does anyone know of a dealer in the MD area that sells Parasound or Sherbourn?

13. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Might want to take a long look at the Anthem multichannel amps. They are right in your budget. They don't get a lot of buzz on this forum, but they are VERY good amps, with excellent sonics
    http://www.sonicfrontiers.com

14. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Does Bose make any good amps?

15. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk

16. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

James, even if Bose did make amps, I'm sure they wouldn't be any good.

17. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Dustin, I agree, IMO that Aragon is a great HT amp for $2300. I have an Aragon 4004 MKII and it's just incredible. I've thrown everything at it and it's never sounded strained... heck, it's never even gotten "warm". It's a beautiful sounding piece, it'll have a place in my HT for a long, long time.

Buying quality used amps is the only way if you want to save some cash. You get the same quality at less than half the price, sometimes easily saving $thousands$. The key is to buy from someone close by, if you can, and check out the amp thoroughly. I've noticed that most of the time used hifi equipment is VERY well taken care of and in almost the same condition as it was when it was new. It's really hard to go wrong if you do a little homework and don't mind spending a few dollars for gas.

18. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I'll chip in my two cents and wholeheartedly endorse the Sherbourn 5/1500A. It is one monster of an amp, and the three features I like most are the monoblock design, auto turn-on/off feature, and most importantly, the sound.
    If you're looking for a price source, I know an authorized dealer who can get it for you for around $1500 shipped. Email me at [email protected] if interested.
    Cheers

19. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I was just joking around guys. I'm aware of the Bose reputation for "quality." [​IMG]

20. JerryE

JerryE Agent