Is the Roku Soundbridge the best way to play mp3's?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Larry J, May 17, 2004.

1. Larry J

Larry J Agent

I have one basic home theater set up in my living room. I am remodeling my basement and building another home theater system for the basement. I have approximately 600 CD's in two changers (linked). I would like to be able to access the changers from either theater (not necessarily at the same time). How do I do this and still have remote functions. I thought about burning all of my CD's to hard drive and using the Roku Sound Bridge to play mp3's, but I'm not ready to commit that much time, yet. Is the Roku my best option?

2. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Well the easiest way may be this option from Radio Shack.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2572
    It will send audio and act as a remote extender.
    You could also run audio cables to the second reciever and an Remote or a remote extender. This option will probably require an a/v distibution amp which can also be had from radio shack.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2572
    This option would probably get you better quality but be a bit more of a headache.
    This stuff can also be had from parts express etc...
    It sounds like your long term plans include a media reciever of some type and you're just looking for something to get you over the hump. If it were me I would probably go wireless because it's relatively cheap and easy.
    Keeping an eye on the future I would also start ripping all my favorite CDs to MP3 and run network cable while I remodeled.
    Just my two cents

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jim:

Since you can send video signals over this puppy I wonder how it would work with sending a signal from your video outputs to a front projector without to having to run a cable up to it.

It would be really cool is they had one that could send progressive signals or DVI from a preamp to a projector.

Have your tried using this unit to send signals from one unit to another?

Parker

4. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

No, I've never used it so I can't give you a report on it
    I agree it would be very cool to use wireless technology to send HQ video to a TV or a projector and I'm sure that someone is working on it now.
    I'm sure wireless components are coming our way soon and we will see arguments about the quality of data stream technologies rather than arguments over cables.[​IMG]